Hyatt buying Apple Leisure Group; Deal would add 100 properties to World of Hyatt
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hyatt Hotels confirmed a Wall Street Journal report Sunday night, Aug. 15, that it is buying Apple Leisure Group for some $2.7 billion in cash plus some debt. The acquisition could close as early as the fourth quarter of this year and it would add 100 hotels and resorts to the Hyatt portfolio, including popular all-inclusive properties from brands like Secrets Resorts and Spas and Dreams Resorts and Spas.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The deal would dramatically expand Chicago-based Hyatt’s offerings in Mexico and the Caribbean. Hyatt says the following brands are included in the deal:
- Secrets® Resorts & Spas
- Dreams® Resorts & Spas
- Breathless® Resorts & Spas
- Sunscape® Resorts & Spas
- Zoëtry® Wellness & Spa Resorts
- Alua® Hotels & Resorts
Apple Leisure (or ALG) also sells vacation packages and charters. It operates under the names Apple Vacations brands, CheapCaribbean.com and others.
The brands are a departure from Hyatt’s core products, but an interesting vote of confidence in the ongoing recovery in the leisure-travel space.
The hotel group said, “Once the acquisition is completed, Hyatt will offer you the largest collection of all-inclusive luxury resorts in the world — including many new markets such as Acapulco, Curacao, the Canary Islands, Menorca, St. Martin and more.”
It is not yet clear when the hotels might join World of Hyatt, but it is a big step in expanding Hyatt’s footprint. One of the biggest complaints from loyalty members is the smaller footprint of Hyatt compared to Marriott and Hilton. Some of the properties are currently bookable using Choice Hotels points. We do not know how long that affiliation will last now that they are being sold to Hyatt.
I reached out to Hyatt for details on the integration with World of Hyatt.
Hyatt senior vice president of loyalty, brand marketing and consumer insights Amy Weinberg told TPG:
“At Hyatt we are always listening to our guests and members, and understand they are craving even more leisure offerings. The acquisition of Apple Leisure Group will expand our luxury getaway options with 100 new luxury resorts to choose from across Europe, Mexico, the Caribbean and Central America. It is too soon to know exactly how or when World of Hyatt will come to life within these resorts, however, please know that we are working fast and that we will share more as soon as we have it. In the meantime, we hope our guests and members will enjoy browsing the AMR collection to discover a new destination that’s just right for them.”
Hyatt, in a press release announcing the news, said, “Whether you’re planning a rejuvenating wellness break, time to relax for two, some quality family time or the ultimate destination wedding, the planned addition of these new resorts to Hyatt’s existing collection of 1,000+ hotels will give you even more memory-making options.”
Related: A complete guide to Hyatt Hotels
Apple Leisure is currently owned by KKR & Co and KSL Capital Partners, who bought it from Bain Capital back in 2017.
Featured image of Secrets Mallorca Villamil Resort & Spa courtesy of Apple Leisure Group.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees