How to visit the New Orleans airport terminal without a ticket
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just a month after a its overnight operations switch from the worn, old terminal to a swanky new on, Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY) joins the list of airports that welcomes non-ticketed visitors airside.
The free MSY Guest Pass program kicking off today allows non-flying guests to enjoy the new shopping and dining offerings at the airport and to listen to live music performances at special stages inside the terminal.
More importantly perhaps, this means that pass-holders are also now able to spend mo tre time with friends and family leaving for trips or to be waiting there at the gate to welcome someone home.
Here’s how the MSY Guest Pass program works.
To get a pass, visitors need to sign up online at least 24 hours in advance and provide their full name as it appears on their government-issued photo ID as well as their date of birth and contact information. On the day of their visit, pass-seekers first visit a customer service desk to have their ID reviewed and their pass issued. Then, each passholder lines up and goes through security checkpoint screening along with ticketed passengers.
MSY isn’t the first airport to invite non-ticketed guests past security in the terminal.
Both Tampa International Airport (TPA) and Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) operate year-round gate pass programs. And through January 5, Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW) is running a gate pass test. Word has it that other airports are considering gate pass programs as well.
Right out of the gate, though, MSY’s Guest Pass program leaps ahead of these other programs by being available seven days a week, although each participant may only get one pass a month. MSY plans to issue passes to 50 visitors each weekday and to 100 visitors on Saturdays and Sundays.
Although getting to and from MSY airport from the city takes at least a half hour, there are plenty of reasons to spend time at the new Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport.
The light-filled, $1.029 billion terminal complex has 35 gates, pre and post-security stages for live music, three rooms for nursing mothers and an art-filled Delta Sky Club. There are also plenty of locally themed shops and restaurants, including Emeril’s Table, Dook’s, Bar Sazerac, Lucky Dogs, Munch Factory, MoPho, Mondo (created by Chef Susan Spicer), Cafe du Monde and Leah’s Kitchen, which pays homage to the late and much-beloved local chef Leah Chase.
Featured photo courtesy of Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees