NASA Will Reopen the Mission Control Room Used in Moon Landing for Public Tours
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After undergoing a $5 million historic preservation project, the iconic Mission Control room used in the Apollo 11 moon landing at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston will be reopening to visitors on July 1, 2019. And it has been restored to its former, 1960s glory — meaning that everything from the command consoles to the polyester-covered seats will be modeled to look just how it did on July 20, 1969, the day the US landed the first man on the moon.
The Mission Control room (or MOCR-2 Mission Operations Control Room 2) was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1985 and later decommissioned in 1992. It then, according to a report by NBC News in 2017, fell into a shocking state of disrepair after years of deterioration. The National Park Service also chimed in, designating it a “threatened facility.” Then, thanks to a collaborative effort between the nonprofit Space Center Houston and the Official Visitor Center of NASA Johnson Space Center, the landmark was able to get the repairs it needed to reopen to the public.
The refurbishment of the space, which will reopen in time for the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, involved a lot of meticulous research in order to replicate its original look. “Our mission was to return the center back to July 20, 1969,” said Sandra Tetley, Johnson Space Center’s Historic Preservation Officer, according to Lonely Planet. “We did a deep dive historic study of the [center] and re-created or restored the original. This is not a Home Depot restoration.”
The reconstructed mission control center will also offer guests an immersive, walk-through experience of the special day. “Visitors will be taken back to the five parts of the Apollo 11 Mission,” Tetley said. “That includes descent and landing; first steps; reading of the plaque by Aldrin and Armstrong on the lunar module; Nixon’s call after the astronauts planted the flag on the moon; then the safe recovery and return of the astronauts. You see all of that, on re-created screens. All the footage is 100 percent accurate. You’re back there in the day.”
To celebrate the reopening of the national landmark, there will be a private ribbon-cutting ceremony on June 28, 2019, with the public, grand opening occurring on July 1. Visitors will be able to view the center as a part of Space Center Houston’s NASA Tram Tour, which you can purchase tickets for here. An adult ticket costs $29.95, while admission for kids is $24.95.
Featured photo courtesy NASA.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees