Travelers can transit through Hong Kong airport beginning in June
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hong Kong International Airport will reopen to transit travelers in June after a more than two-month closure to connecting passengers to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus.
Beginning June 1, travelers can connect between flights on the “same airline group” at Hong Kong (HKG), according to the airport. Passengers must be checked in through to their final destination prior to landing in Hong Kong, and must wear a mask while they are in the airport.
Hong Kong is among the busiest airports in the world and a major hub for hometown Cathay Pacific Airways and its affiliates. The airport was closed to connecting passengers on March 25 as COVID-19 spread rapidly around the globe.
Cathay Pacific slashed its schedule by 97% in April in response to the dramatic drop in flyers during the pandemic. The airline, and its affiliate Cathay Dragon, only plan to operate about 5% of their schedule in June, according to Cirium schedules.
Only two of Cathay Pacific’s Hong Kong lounges are open: The Wing First Class and Business Class lounges near gates 1-4. The Pier First Class, The Pier Business, The Deck and The Bridge lounges are closed until further notice.
— Airline Maps (@airlinemaps) January 28, 2016
American Airlines, a Cathay Pacific partner and fellow Oneworld member, plans to resume its flight between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Hong Kong on July 10.
The reopening of Hong Kong to transiting passengers will also allow United Airlines to reinstate service to Singapore (SIN) with a stop in Hong Kong in July. The Chicago-based carrier suspended the route in favor of additional nonstop service between the U.S. to Singapore in 2017. It had flown the route for 30 years.
Passengers typically have to disembark and reboard their flights when transiting over Hong Kong.
Featured image by May James/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.