Holland America’s new cruise itinerary will take you from Boston to Iceland and back
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Want to visit Iceland without ever getting on an airplane?
If you’re within driving distance of Boston, a new cruise itinerary from Holland America will let you do it.
The Seattle-based cruise line has announced plans for a new, 24-day voyage to Iceland out of Boston that will include a complete circumnavigation of the island nation — a first for the line.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s new cruise newsletter
Scheduled to start on Aug. 3, 2022, the new sailing will take place on one of Holland America’s newest ships, the 2,650-passenger Nieuw Statendam.
The trip will include six calls in Iceland at the ports of Reykjavík, Djúpivogur, Seydisfjörur, Akureyri, Isafjörour and Grundarfjörour.
In addition, on the way to and from Iceland, the ship will make stops at Bar Harbor, Maine; Halifax and Sydney, Nova Scotia; Saint-Pierre, St. John’s, Red Bay, St. Anthony and Corner Brook, Newfoundland; and Qaqortoq (Julianehåb) and Nanortalik (Ilivileq), Greenland.
Circumnavigations of Iceland are a growing trend in the cruise industry, but most such trips begin and end in Iceland or another nearby country such as the U.K. or Norway. It’s unusual for Iceland circumnavigations to begin and end in the U.S.
Iceland circumnavigations are a relatively new phenomenon in the cruise world. While adventure company Zegrahm Expeditions operated a complete circumnavigation of the island by ship as far back as 1999, it wasn’t until 2013 that Iceland circumnavigations began to occur with some regularity.
Lindblad Expeditions and Norwegian cruise company Hurtigruten added Iceland circumnavigations in 2013, and Windstar Cruises began such trips in 2016. Ponant and Adventure Canada also have added Iceland circumnavigations since 2018.
In addition to sailing to Iceland out of Boston in 2022, Holland America has announced that Nieuw Statendam will operate a series of six- to eight-day “Canada & New England Discovery” voyages in 2022 between Boston and Québec City, with weekend departures. Port calls will include Bar Harbor, Charlottetown, Sydney and Halifax. The eight-day sailings add Saint John, New Brunswick.
Holland America also has said Nieuw Statendam would operate longer “Newfoundland & New England Discovery” cruises between Boston and Québec City. Ports on a 10-day itinerary include Baie-Comeau and Havre-Saint-Pierre, Québec; and Corner Brook, St. Anthony, St. John’s, Halifax and Bar Harbor. An even longer 11-day departure brings calls at Portland, Maine; Saguenay, Québec; and Saint John, Halifax, Corner Brook, Charlottetown and Baie-Comeau.
Planning a cruise? Start with these stories:
- The 5 most desirable cabin locations on any cruise ship
- The 8 worst cabin locations on any cruise ship
- A quick guide to the most popular cruise lines
- 21 tips and tricks that will make your cruise go smoothly
- 15 ways cruisers waste money
- 12 best cruises for people who never want to grow up
- What to pack for your first cruise
Featured image of courtesy of Holland America.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.