Holland America’s new cruise itinerary will take you from Boston to Iceland and back
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Want to visit Iceland without ever getting on an airplane?
If you’re within driving distance of Boston, a new cruise itinerary from Holland America will let you do it.
The Seattle-based cruise line has announced plans for a new, 24-day voyage to Iceland out of Boston that will include a complete circumnavigation of the island nation — a first for the line.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s new cruise newsletter
Scheduled to start on Aug. 3, 2022, the new sailing will take place on one of Holland America’s newest ships, the 2,650-passenger Nieuw Statendam.
The trip will include six calls in Iceland at the ports of Reykjavík, Djúpivogur, Seydisfjörur, Akureyri, Isafjörour and Grundarfjörour.
In addition, on the way to and from Iceland, the ship will make stops at Bar Harbor, Maine; Halifax and Sydney, Nova Scotia; Saint-Pierre, St. John’s, Red Bay, St. Anthony and Corner Brook, Newfoundland; and Qaqortoq (Julianehåb) and Nanortalik (Ilivileq), Greenland.
Circumnavigations of Iceland are a growing trend in the cruise industry, but most such trips begin and end in Iceland or another nearby country such as the U.K. or Norway. It’s unusual for Iceland circumnavigations to begin and end in the U.S.
Iceland circumnavigations are a relatively new phenomenon in the cruise world. While adventure company Zegrahm Expeditions operated a complete circumnavigation of the island by ship as far back as 1999, it wasn’t until 2013 that Iceland circumnavigations began to occur with some regularity.
Lindblad Expeditions and Norwegian cruise company Hurtigruten added Iceland circumnavigations in 2013, and Windstar Cruises began such trips in 2016. Ponant and Adventure Canada also have added Iceland circumnavigations since 2018.
In addition to sailing to Iceland out of Boston in 2022, Holland America has announced that Nieuw Statendam will operate a series of six- to eight-day “Canada & New England Discovery” voyages in 2022 between Boston and Québec City, with weekend departures. Port calls will include Bar Harbor, Charlottetown, Sydney and Halifax. The eight-day sailings add Saint John, New Brunswick.
Holland America also has said Nieuw Statendam would operate longer “Newfoundland & New England Discovery” cruises between Boston and Québec City. Ports on a 10-day itinerary include Baie-Comeau and Havre-Saint-Pierre, Québec; and Corner Brook, St. Anthony, St. John’s, Halifax and Bar Harbor. An even longer 11-day departure brings calls at Portland, Maine; Saguenay, Québec; and Saint John, Halifax, Corner Brook, Charlottetown and Baie-Comeau.
Planning a cruise? Start with these stories:
- The 5 most desirable cabin locations on any cruise ship
- The 8 worst cabin locations on any cruise ship
- A quick guide to the most popular cruise lines
- 21 tips and tricks that will make your cruise go smoothly
- 15 ways cruisers waste money
- 12 best cruises for people who never want to grow up
- What to pack for your first cruise
Featured image of courtesy of Holland America.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees