Heathrow Airport surprises U.S. flyers with Thanksgiving pumpkin pies
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Bleary-eyed passengers arriving Wednesday morning at London’s Heathrow Airport on a handful of flights from the United States didn’t find their luggage at the bag claim.
Instead, they got fresh pumpkin pie.
It’s an effort from Heathrow that comes on the eve of Thanksgiving, one of the biggest holidays of the year in the United States.
The American expat community in London is estimated to be about 200,00 strong and the team at Heathrow has noticed that #happythanksgiving had become a trending hashtag on Twitter in past years.
So, this year the airport got in touch with Austin-based Whole Foods and cooked up a “surprise and delight” event to welcome Thanksgiving flyers from the U.S.
Passengers on six flights originating from Houston, Philadelphia, Newark, Austin, Los Angeles and Washington, D.C., arrived at the bag claims Wednesday to find wicker baskets filled with individual servings of fresh pumpkin pie rolling out on the bag carousel.
There were also vegan and gluten-free pie options available.
And to top things off, literally, baggage ambassadors armed with cans of whipped cream were standing by to greet everyone and garnish the pie slices.
After all the pies were delivered, garnishes and selfies-with-pies were taken, passengers received their checked bags.
This isn’t the first Thanksgiving that Heathrow has celebrated in a fun fashion. In previous years, people dressed as turkeys roamed the terminals greeting passengers.
And, in December, holiday travelers can look forward to a variety of North Pole and Christmas-oriented activities at Heathrow. The events and promotions should be entertaining, as past campaigns have included Boarding Bon Bons said to taste like Christmas pudding, turkey and stuffing and other traditional Christmas meal dishes.
And then there’s the heart-warming, multi-year tale of Doris and Edward Bair. Handkerchiefs ready?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees