Heathrow Airport Reveals Expansion Plans in Anticipation of Third Runway
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In advance of the planned third runway expected to open by 2026, London Heathrow Airport (LHR) has unveiled a long-term masterplan to expand the airport to cope with the increased flights the third runway will bring.
This plan, which has already been approved by the British parliament, is expected to be complete by 2050. A new runway bridge will be built over the M25 motorway which will provide spectacular views of the world’s biggest aircraft at Europe’s busiest airport while motorists drive underneath. It presents significant engineering and design challenges given the weight of these fully-laden planes. The M25, which is Britain’s busiest motorway, will move up to 150 metres west to accommodate the third runway.
Terminals 2 (Star Alliance) and 5 (British Airways and Iberia) will be extended in a ‘toaster rack’ design with central check-in areas followed by many rows of piers of gates. There will also be an enormous new 24,000 capacity carpark in the Sipson town area.
The frustrating curfew will remain, with a 6.5 hour ban on scheduled flights each evening. The masterplan sees the introduction of a vehicle access charge for the airport precinct, as already introduced in Central London.
The plan is now under a three months public consultation. Heathrow Airport insists that the expansion “must not come at any cost,” so they will work closely with local communities to ensure growth is sustainable and responsible. There are plenty who are opposed to the expansion, from local residents to environmentalists. Boris Johnson, the current front-runner to become the next Prime Minister, was a vocal opponent of the airport’s expansion though he has now signaled that he will not oppose the plans given they have already been approved by Parliament.
The expansion costs are estimated by Heathrow airport to cost £14 billion in total, although opponents say this figure will be closer to £30 billion.
Featured image by Grimshaw Architects.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees