Your guide to using the new Amex Platinum Equinox credit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When you think of luxury cards, usually, The Platinum Card® from American Express comes right to mind — proving just how influential brand association is.
New to The Points Guy? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Since we are The Points Guy, we’re here to teach you how to maximize each credit in your favor. In this guide precisely, we’ll explain the $300 statement credit with Equinox that’s broken down monthly and what purchases are eligible for reimbursement.
TPG’s senior travel editor, Melanie Lieberman, is a big fan of these changes. “Before Amex revamped the Platinum card, I was considering downgrading or canceling — but the Equinox credit alone makes me excited to renew my card,” said Lieberman. “I’ve been an Equinox member since 2015 and saving $300 a year on a membership I’ve been paying for anyway is a no-brainer.”
What is the new Amex Platinum Equinox credit?
Equinox is a luxury fitness club with hundreds of locations in the U.S., Canada and the U.K. You’ll find them mostly in major cities, but Equinox is headquartered in New York City. Accordingly, there are more than 35 locations in New York City alone.
With the Amex Platinum, you’ll get an annual $300 statement credit with Equinox. This is distributed monthly — so in other words, you’ll get $25 of Equinox credit each month. This benefit is one per Platinum account, meaning that even if you have authorized users, you’ll still only get one credit each month.
If you don’t live near an Equinox (or aren’t interested in paying a premium for your gym), it’s important to note that the $25 monthly credit can apply to the new Equinox+ app. According to Amex, here’s everything eligible for reimbursement with the Amex Platinum Equinox credit:
- Monthly Equinox All-Access membership fees: Access all Equinox locations in the U.S.
- Monthly Equinox Destination membership fees: Access all Equinox locations worldwide except for “E” clubs, which are a “full member experience that includes elite personal training, pilates, fitness classes, services and amenities in a stunning, intimate setting.”
- Monthly E by Equinox membership fees: Access all Equinox locations worldwide (including “E” clubs)
- Equinox+ app
There are two important qualifiers to note here. The first is the word “monthly,” because you’ll only receive the Amex Platinum Equinox statement credit if you’re on a month-to-month membership rather than an annual contract with Equinox.
Also, none of the eligible services above include the “single-club membership,” which is a less expensive plan since you only have access to one location rather than multiple Equinox fitness centers.
In the next section, we’ll discuss what all of this means and how you can use your new Amex Platinum Equinox credit.
How to use the Amex Platinum Equinox credit
Whether you’re already an Equinox member or you’ve been thinking about joining Equinox, you’ll still need to follow the same process to use the new Amex Platinum Equinox credit.
First, you’ll need to visit platinum.equinox.com to enroll in the benefit. Existing members will log in with their Equinox account, while new members will be prompted to select an eligible plan. You can choose either the in-person experience (gym membership) or the digital experience (Equinox+ app).
The table below breaks down the cost of each membership and service.
While the membership cost could vary if you join in person, the all-access and destination memberships seem pretty standard across the board when joining online. The Monthly E by Equinox membership price is not posted online (so you can imagine the $25 monthly credit hardly makes a dent). The only cost we know for sure is the Equinox+ app, which bills $40 monthly.
|Monthly All-access Equinox membership||$275 per month, 12-month commitment|
|Monthly Destination Equinox membership||$315 per month, 12-month commitment|
|Monthly E by Equinox membership||Not posted online|
|Equinox+ app||$40 per month|
After activating the benefit, you must charge your Equinox or Equinox+ fees to your Platinum Card. Amex claims that it takes two to four weeks to receive the statement credit, though we imagine it could post sooner.
FAQs on Amex Platinum Equinox credit
Below, we’ve answered your most frequently asked questions about the new Amex Platinum Equinox credit.
Which memberships are eligible for the new Amex Platinum Equinox credit?
Only memberships that are billed monthly and are the All-access, Destination or E by Equinox plans are eligible for the $25 monthly statement credit.
Which memberships are NOT eligible for the new Amex Platinum Equinox credit?
Any memberships that are billed yearly (rather than monthly) or single-club memberships are excluded from the Amex Platinum Equinox credit. Also, any day passes or online purchases on Equinox’s website will not count toward this credit. Some other exclusions may apply, so it’s best to check with Amex if you’re unsure if your membership qualifies.
What benefits do I get with the Equinox+ app?
You’ll get access to an extensive portfolio of classes from Equinox and its many brands, including SoulCycle, Pure Yoga, Precision Run, HeadStrong, Rumble, TB12 and Solidcore. There are also live Equinox and SoulCycle classes available. Keep in mind, you will not receive the statement credit on your Equinox+ membership if you purchase your membership within the Equinox+ app or through a third party.
How do I use my Amex Platinum Equinox credit?
Once you confirm your membership is valid for the statement credit, you must activate the benefit through platinum.equinox.com and charge your monthly bill to your Amex Platinum card.
If you don’t live in a big city with a physical Equinox location near you, the $25 monthly Equinox credit takes a sizable chunk off the $40 monthly cost of the Equinox+ app.
At-home workouts have become increasingly popular throughout the pandemic, and the Equinox+ app has excellent Equinox classes, as well as SoulCycle, Rumble, TB12 classes and so much more. It’s also worth noting that there’s a seven-day free trial, so you can test it out before you decide to commit.
Featured photo by Melanie Lieberman/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees