New Hertz promotion lets elite members gift status to a friend or family member
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This week, Hertz launched a new promotion that lets you give Hertz status to a friend, family member or colleague for a year.
Hertz Gold Rewards elite members can gift their equivalent status to another Hertz member, so President’s Circle members can gift President’s Circle status for free. The recipient will have complimentary status from Jan. 31, 2021, to Jan. 31, 2022.
There is no restriction on which elites can gift status. This leads me to believe that members who have status through an airline partnership or credit card are eligible for status gifting. For reference, Delta and United elites are eligible for Hertz elite status.
Hertz Gold Rewards elites can designate a recipient for this status by entering his/her name, email and state using this form on the Hertz website. The recipient has access to the same benefits that a normal elite member has, including a points bonus, space-available car upgrades and a wider selection of vehicles at the Hertz Ultimate Choice lot.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Hertz Gold Rewards elite status
As a refresher, Hertz has two status tiers: Five Star and President’s Circle.
Top-tier President’s Circle status offers a 50% bonus on points and top priority for upgrades. My favorite President’s Circle benefit, however, is access to the President’s Circle lot at airport locations — this lot generally has the best cars, which is great for long rentals.
Newly minted elites can renew their status for 2022 by meeting the standard elite status requirements:
- Five Star: 12 rentals or $2,400 in spend
- President’s Circle: 20 rentals or $4,000 in spend
Bear in mind too that Hertz extended all members’ statuses through Jan. 31, 2022 — so even if you rented few (or no) cars in 2020, elite members based on 2019 activity should be eligible for this offer.
It’s great to see Hertz launch a lucrative new promotion during the holidays. If you’re a Hertz elite, chances are you know a fellow traveler that doesn’t have rental car elite status, so this promo lets you brighten their year and make renting a car more rewarding.
For Hertz, this drums up travel demand through word-of-mouth advertising. This is especially important for Hertz in 2021, as the company is still working through Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Hopefully this added business helps the company get to a better financial place in the new year.
Hertz isn’t the only company that launched elite status gifting. Earlier in 2020, JetBlue offered elite status gifting to Mosaic members. Likewise, Hilton is currently letting select elites gift Gold or Diamond status to a friend or family member.
Feature photo by EQRoy/Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees