Amex offering complimentary Clear membership for targeted Amex Gold cardmembers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As the number of travelers begins to increase since the pandemic began, TSA wait times are also increasing. If you’re considering traveling, now may be the time to enroll in a expedited security program such as Clear.
Recently, some American Express® Gold cardholders became eligible for a 100% return on clear membership, up to $179. Cardholders must enroll their Amex Gold card by Oct. 30, 2021, to receive the credit. This credit will not be valid for e-gift card purchases.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
Clear is the expedited airport security system that allows you to get through security much faster. The system is currently in 38 airports and a number of other locations such as stadiums. Travelers enrolled in Clear have their own security lane that allows you to use biometric authentication to check your identification instead of waiting for a TSA screener to check your ID and boarding pass.
To take advantage of this credit you do need to apply for Clear through their website, but the application takes only five minutes. However, to complete the enrollment process you do have to finish in person at an airport Clear checkpoint to verify your identity.
This credit will only cover the cardholder, but you can add three additional family members for $50 each, per year. Clear membership is available to those 18 and older and children under 18 can use Clear for free when accompanied by a Clear member.
Once you enroll in Clear, you will have to wait up to 90 days after Oct. 30, 2021, to see the credit reflected on your card statement though you’ll likely see it much faster.
This new offer comes unexpectedly, as The Platinum Card® from American Express just recently added new, lifestyle focused benefits, including an annual Clear statement credit for up to $179, as part of an increased annual fee of $695 (see rates and fees). Unlike the Amex Gold Clear credit, the Amex Platinum credit reoccurs annually (enrollment required). For now, the Amex Gold Clear credit seems to be for one year only. Make sure to remember that this subscription will be set to auto-renew and your card will be charged for Clear again next year if not canceled.
The American Express® Green Card offers an up to $100 Clear statement credit (enrollment required), plus travelers can pay between $109 and $119 a year when they belong to Delta SkyMiles or United MileagePlus. Delta Diamond Medallions and United 1K members get Clear for free.
Clear can be a helpful tool to jump to the front of the airport security line. However Clear doesn’t allow you to use Trusted Traveler lines such as TSA PreCheck. It might be worth getting both to make security a breeze.
The information for the Amex Green card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum card, click here.
Additional reporting by Jordyn Fields
Featured photo by Wyatt Smith/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees