Germany drops COVID-19 travel requirements
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Germany is the latest country to drop its COVID-19 travel requirements for visitors.
Just in time for the summer travel season, the German government lifted its “3G” rule. This rule had required tourists to show either proof of vaccination, proof of recovery from COVID-19 or a negative test in order to enter the country, according to the German National Tourist Office.
This means that travelers, including those from the U.S., can now enter Germany without carrying any kind of proof of their coronavirus status, making it much easier to visit this summer.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Germany also dropped its mask mandates earlier this year. The country’s only federal coronavirus-related rule that still remains is a requirement to wear masks on public transportation (meaning you’ll need to wear one on planes, trains, subways and buses).
Germany joins a number of other countries that have dropped their pandemic-related entry requirements. On June 1, both Cyprus and Italy, which had held some of the toughest anti-COVID-19 measures in Europe during the pandemic, lifted all travel restrictions.
The United Kingdom opened its borders to all travelers, regardless of vaccination status, on March 18, and Greece followed suit on May 2.
Additionally, as of May 21, all Americans, regardless of vaccination status, can visit Spain because the country lifted its vaccination requirement (although unvaccinated tourists must show a negative COVID-19 result on a predeparture test).
Featured photo by Westend61/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees