This upstart company just unveiled a no-annual-fee card with up to 3% back — here’s why we’re intrigued
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cryptocurrency is soaring in popularity, and the competition for crypto-earning credit cards is seriously heating up.
Instead of rewarding cardholders with cash back, points or airline miles, these cards will earn crypto — including popular currencies such as bitcoin. While there’s no guarantee about the future value of cryptocurrencies, this type of reward has the potential to appreciate, unlike most other reward types.
The first crypto cards are set to be unveiled later this year, including ones from Gemini and BlockFi.
New to The Points Guy? Want to learn more about credit card points and miles? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Gemini, a cryptocurrency platform, is announcing that it is teaming up with Mastercard to offer a number of unique features on its new rewards credit card set to launch this summer.
The no-annual-fee card will earn up to 3% back on purchases with crypto rewards automatically deposited into the cardholders’ Gemini account. There’s the option to earn any of the more than 30 cryptocurrencies available on Gemini, including Bitcoin.
Category bonuses will include 3% back on dining, 2% back on groceries and 1% back on everything else. Cardholders also have the option to deposit their crypto rewards into a Gemini Earn account, a new interest-earning program, to grow their holdings further.
Interestingly, Gemini says that cardholders will also receive their crypto rewards instantly as the transaction occurs. For a crypto card, this may be particularly beneficial, since the price of rewards could appreciate over time. Instead of waiting until month’s end to earn rewards, you’ll get them in real-time.
Gemini says that more than 140,000 people are already on the waitlist for this new card that will be available in all 50 U.S. states. On paper, the card appears to be a very competitive offering considering its no-annual-fee nature and category bonuses.
The sleek, metal contactless card will be available in black, silver or rose gold and will also include World Mastercard benefits such as discounts with DoorDash, HelloFresh, Lyft and ShopRunner.
In a written press release, Gemini CEO Tyler Winklevoss said, “As more consumers look to enter the crypto ecosystem, the Gemini Credit Card gives them an easy point of entry, an effortless way to earn crypto as a reward, and diversify their portfolios over time without changing their daily spending habits.”
Gemini’s rewards card offering isn’t the only crypto launch happening this year. BlockFi also announced details of its crypto credit card, a $200-a-year product that will earn a flat 1.5% back. However, for now, it seems Gemini has a leg up on BlockFi, with no annual fee and up to 3% back in crypto earnings.
The Citi® Double Cash Card earns up to 2% cash back on all purchases — 1% when you buy and another 1% when you pay your bill. Meanwhile, the Chase Freedom Unlimited earns 1.5% cash back on all purchases with an elevated earning rate on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards (5%), dining at restaurants (3%) and drugstore purchases (3%).
Those earnings can in turn be converted to crypto but the process isn’t nearly as seamless as what Gemini is saying it will offer cardholders. Over the coming months, we’ll see if this is the card that will bring crypto even further into the mainstream spotlight.
Featured photo by salarko/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.