This upstart company just unveiled a no-annual-fee card with up to 3% back — here’s why we’re intrigued
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cryptocurrency is soaring in popularity, and the competition for crypto-earning credit cards is seriously heating up.
Instead of rewarding cardholders with cash back, points or airline miles, these cards will earn crypto — including popular currencies such as bitcoin. While there’s no guarantee about the future value of cryptocurrencies, this type of reward has the potential to appreciate, unlike most other reward types.
The first crypto cards are set to be unveiled later this year, including ones from Gemini and BlockFi.
New to The Points Guy? Want to learn more about credit card points and miles? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Gemini, a cryptocurrency platform, is announcing that it is teaming up with Mastercard to offer a number of unique features on its new rewards credit card set to launch this summer.
The no-annual-fee card will earn up to 3% back on purchases with crypto rewards automatically deposited into the cardholders’ Gemini account. There’s the option to earn any of the more than 30 cryptocurrencies available on Gemini, including Bitcoin.
Category bonuses will include 3% back on dining, 2% back on groceries and 1% back on everything else. Cardholders also have the option to deposit their crypto rewards into a Gemini Earn account, a new interest-earning program, to grow their holdings further.
Interestingly, Gemini says that cardholders will also receive their crypto rewards instantly as the transaction occurs. For a crypto card, this may be particularly beneficial, since the price of rewards could appreciate over time. Instead of waiting until month’s end to earn rewards, you’ll get them in real-time.
Gemini says that more than 140,000 people are already on the waitlist for this new card that will be available in all 50 U.S. states. On paper, the card appears to be a very competitive offering considering its no-annual-fee nature and category bonuses.
The sleek, metal contactless card will be available in black, silver or rose gold and will also include World Mastercard benefits such as discounts with DoorDash, HelloFresh, Lyft and ShopRunner.
In a written press release, Gemini CEO Tyler Winklevoss said, “As more consumers look to enter the crypto ecosystem, the Gemini Credit Card gives them an easy point of entry, an effortless way to earn crypto as a reward, and diversify their portfolios over time without changing their daily spending habits.”
Gemini’s rewards card offering isn’t the only crypto launch happening this year. BlockFi also announced details of its crypto credit card, a $200-a-year product that will earn a flat 1.5% back. However, for now, it seems Gemini has a leg up on BlockFi, with no annual fee and up to 3% back in crypto earnings.
The Citi® Double Cash Card earns up to 2% cash back on all purchases — 1% when you buy and another 1% when you pay your bill. Meanwhile, the Chase Freedom Unlimited earns 1.5% cash back on all purchases with an elevated earning rate on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards (5%), dining at restaurants (3%) and drugstore purchases (3%).
Those earnings can in turn be converted to crypto but the process isn’t nearly as seamless as what Gemini is saying it will offer cardholders. Over the coming months, we’ll see if this is the card that will bring crypto even further into the mainstream spotlight.
Featured photo by salarko/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees