Forget miles, this card pays you back in Bitcoin — Is it worth it?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Crypto exchange platform BlockFi recently announced that it’s partnering with Visa to launch a credit card that rewards purchases with Bitcoin, rather than points, miles or cash back. This will be the world’s first credit card that pays out in Bitcoin, but whether it will actually be worth applying for is another question. The BlockFi Rewards Visa® Signature Credit Card carries no annual fee and earns rewards at a flat rate.
The information for the BlockFi Bitcoin card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
New to The Points Guy? Want to learn more about credit card points and miles? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
BlockFi Rewards Visa® Signature Credit Card
The BlockFi Bitcoin Rewards credit card will offer cardholders a flat 1.5% cash back that is automatically converted to Bitcoin across all spending. This means you won’t have to juggle specific bonus categories, but could limit your earning potential in popular categories such as dining.
At the time of the launch, new cardholders will be given an intro offer of earning 3.5% back in Bitcoin during the first 90 days of card ownership, up to $100 in bitcoin and 2% back in Bitcoin on every purchase over $50,000 in annual spend
While BlockFi hasn’t released details about benefits yet, it did hint at purchase protections. If this ends up being a Visa Signature card, benefits may include extended warranty protection and various travel protections. What we know for sure is that the card will feature a sleek metal design.
The card, which will be issued by Evolve Bank & Trust, is set to start shipping in spring 2021. Waitlist registration has already opened for existing and new BlockFi users with funded accounts and will become available to the public in January. It will only be available to U.S. residents in qualified states.
Related: The prettiest credit cards, ranked
Is it worth it?
Bitcoin is the fastest-growing currency and is showing no sign of slowing down. Still, that doesn’t necessarily mean that you should jump on this card. Putting aside the risks associated with investing in such a volatile currency, this card doesn’t provide much that a standard cash-back card wouldn’t.
For instance, the Citi® Double Cash Card earns 2% (1% when you make purchases, 1% when as you pay your bill) while the Chase Freedom Unlimited earns 1.5% back on general everyday purchases. The Freedom Unlimited kicks things up a notch by also offering 5% back on travel booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 5% back on Lyft rides through March 2021 and 3% cash back on dining and drugstores. And you don’t have to keep track about Bitcoin’s fluctuating values.
As such, if you want to begin earning Bitcoin rewards, it could be wiser to continue using a regular, more rewarding cash-back card and then using a commission-free crypto trading platform — such as BlockFi or Robinhood — to invest in Bitcoin using the money you earned. Sure, it won’t be an automatic process, but you could potentially earn a better return on your spending.
There’s a new credit card hitting the market that will earn rewards in the form of Bitcoin. However, if you’re interested in investing in Bitcoin, you could be better off with a regular credit card and using your cash back to buy the digital asset separately and on your own terms.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees