How to earn a free round-trip award through AA’s Business Extra program
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: At TPG, our top priority is providing our readers with the information you need to make educated decisions about travel and your rewards-earnings strategy. This is not the best time to travel, domestically or internationally, but we are sharing this promotion because it can offer a good value for those who still need to travel for essential reasons.
While the Big Three US airlines (Delta, United and AA) tend to copy each other pretty closely when it comes to the details of their loyalty programs, there’s one area where American really stands out above the competition: While all three legacy carriers offer separate loyalty programs for small businesses, American’s Business Extra program is by far the richest.
Business Extra members accrue points in addition to the normal AAdvantage frequent flyer miles they earn from flying, and can redeem these Business Extra points for award flights, upgrades, lounge access and more. Now, View from the Wing is reporting that new Business Extra members can earn 2,000 Business Extra points by enrolling at businessextra.com with promo code 202KMM and taking a single flight by June 30.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Obviously with the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, now is not the right time to be traveling unless it’s unavoidable. But there are plenty of people who continue to travel because their jobs have been deemed essential who may be able to get great value out of this offer.
Business Extra members normally earn points at a rate of 1 per $5 spent on eligible flights, so this bonus nets you the same number of points as if you’d spent $10,000 on American Airlines flights.
Business Extra points can be used toward a number of different redemptions, but these 2,000 points could net you a domestic round-trip economy award (excluding transcontinental flights) if you redeem them for a “BX1A” award. These awards book into the T fare class, meaning you should be able to use them on any flight that has regular sAAver level award space.
Another great option, especially if you plan to fly on a more premium transcontinental route, would be to redeem your 2,000 points for up to 3 “BXP1” awards, which are one segment upgrades within North America, including Hawaii and the Caribbean. BXP1s cost 650 Business Extra points each, so you could use this new member bonus to earn three upgrades and still have a few points left over.
Perhaps the single best redemption would be to book a cheap business class fare on a premium transcontinental route operated by one of AA’s specially configured three-cabin A321Ts, featuring lie-flat business and first class in addition to economy. Upgrade inventory from business to first class is very easy to come by, and in addition to the incredible lie-flat seat, first class passengers can also access AA’s exclusive Flagship First dining facility on the ground (currently closed due to the coronavirus pandemic).
No matter how good the promotion is, you should only be making plans to travel in the next few months if you absolutely need to, primarily if you’re traveling for work in a job that’s been deemed essential.
Business Extra is a great option to “double dip” on American flights, earning Business Extra points and AAdvantage miles at the same time. If you’re not yet a member of the Business Extra program, signing up with this promotional offer and taking one flight by June 30 is a great way to boost your account balance from the start.
Featured image by Ethan Steinberg / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees