FlyDubai’s Ending Its Loyalty Program to Join Emirates Skywards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
FlyDubai has announced it will be merging its loyalty program with Emirates. Up until now, the low-cost carrier operated its own OPEN rewards program, which will be integrated into Emirates Skywards on August 1.
Last year the two airlines joined together to form a partnership that included codesharing, network and schedule alignments.
Both carriers are owned by the United Arab Emirates government but operate independently. Emirates focuses on long-haul destinations, operating a fleet exclusively of 777s and A380s. FlyDubai flies just narrowbody Boeing 737s, although it has recently introduced lie-flat seats on some of its aircraft.
FlyDubai’s OPEN was a revenue-based program, and those with OPEN Gold status will be able to earn Emirates Skywards Gold status. Now when flying on FlyDubai, you’ll earn Emirates Skywards miles and credit toward Emirates elite status. You’ll also be able to redeem Skywards miles on FlyDubai. Unfortunately, OPEN elite tier points will not be transferred to your Skywards account — essentially you’ll have to start from scratch if you don’t have status on August 1.
If you don’t redeem OPEN miles before August 1, the airline says “there are options for you to retain the value of any reward points you’ve earned.” That includes unredeemed points being automatically converted into a FlyDubai voucher on August 1.
Flights after August 1 that have already been booked with a FlyDubai OPEN number will have their Emirates Skywards membership number take its place.
American Express is a transfer partner with Emirates Skywards, allowing you to transfer Amex Membership Rewards points to Emirates at a 1:1 ratio. TPG values Skywards miles at 1.2 cents each, and Emirates charges significant fuel surcharges on award tickets, making them less than ideal when redeeming points.
H/T: One Mile At A Time
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees