Flybe to be rebranded as Virgin Connect following Virgin Atlantic investment
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British regional airline Flybe announced on Tuesday it will rebrand as Virgin Connect in 2020, following investment by a consortium including Virgin Atlantic.
The new name comes as little surprise, given the name of the consortium is called ‘Connect Airways’, comprising 40% ownership by Cyprus Capital, 30% by Stobart Group and 30% by Virgin Atlantic Limited, the holding company of both the airline and Virgin Holidays divisions.
Few details of the rebranding have been revealed, though a new website for the rebranded airline has already gone live, promoting the new phase as “Europe’s Largest Regional Airline”.
Mark Anderson, CEO of Connect Airways said, “Virgin Connect will be passionately focused on becoming Europe’s most loved and successful regional airline. It will offer travel that is simple and convenient with the personal touch. Our customers will naturally expect the same exceptional travel experience as they do with other Virgin-related brands. As part of the Virgin family, we now have a tremendously re-energised team”.
The group admits the transformation will be ambitious, as passengers and staff “say goodbye to purple and hello to red”.
At this point, it remains unclear how exactly Flybe will adopt the Virgin brand beyond just a linked name. Both airlines offer vastly different passenger experiences. While the acquisition will help feed regional passengers into Virgin Atlantic’s long-haul services, the vast differences in aircraft types alone make for very different flights for passengers coming off a tiny Flybe/Virgin Connect ATR 72-600 and on to Virgin’s flagship new Airbus A350 aircraft. We also await details of how Virgin Connect will work with the Flying Club programme.
If you have an existing booking on Flybe in 2020, there’s nothing for you to do. Once the rebrand is complete, your flight may be operated by Virgin Connect rather than Flybe.
Featured image by Ina Fassbender/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees