Full speed ahead: Despite COVID-19, resort revenue booming in states such as Florida
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ask anyone from Florida, Georgia or South Carolina if they feel the highways or beaches have been more congested now than in 2020 in their state and you’re likely met with a predictable look of accordance. We know that eager travelers have been flocking to warm destinations where outdoor activities are abundant and dining outside is common during the coronavirus pandemic, but likely no state has welcomed more visitors seeking a respite from the winter blues and those tired of being cooped up at home than Florida.
For more TPG travel news and tips delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
Though we know Florida has always been a popular tourist destination due to its warm weather, theme parks and beautiful beaches, according to Travel Weekly, the state’s March 2021 occupancy metrics at resort properties have eclipsed pre-pandemic March 2019 numbers. Along with Georgia and South Carolina, resort properties across these three markets saw occupancy rates increase 5% in 2021 compared to March 2019.
While we’re not surprised by the influx of visitors to these states during the pandemic, the eye-opening statistic is the average daily rate (ADR) — the revenue made per resort room — was up an astonishing 29.6% in March 2021, surpassing 36% total increase in revenue from the same time back in March 2019.
With no signs of tourism slowing down in these states, resort booking trends are steadily increasing. As of March 31, resorts in these states are experiencing a 15.7% greater increase in room occupancy between March 2021 and August 2021, compared to the same six-month period pre-pandemic in 2019.
Hotels in the southeast, particularly in Florida, continue to accommodate guests but restrict hotel amenities such as lounge access, restaurant dining and spa services. It’s interesting to see that while the coronavirus pandemic has altered the resort experience, all signs point to universal pent-up demand for travel and a continued influx of vacationers heading out on holiday to these popular states.
Featured photo by Jeffrey Greenberg/Universal Images Group/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees