You’ll now need to prove residency to get a COVID-19 vaccine in Florida
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Visitors hoping to score a COVID-19 vaccine in Florida will now have to prove residency in order to get on the wait list.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The state of Florida cracked down on “vaccine tourism” Thursday, with Surgeon General Scott Rivkees now requiring proof of permanent or seasonal Florida residency in order to receive vaccinations.
“The Covid-19 vaccine remains scarce within the U.S., and vaccine availability in Florida is extremely limited,” Rivkees said in a statement announcing the new directive. Rivkees emphasized the importance of prioritizing the health of Floridians, since vaccine quantities are still severely limited for locals and visitors alike.
Vaccine seekers can prove residency by providing official documents such as driver licenses or mortgage statements for property owned in Florida. Healthcare workers who come in direct contact with patients, and workers in similar capacities such as first responders, are exempted from the residency requirement at this time.
Florida began offering the vaccine to people 65 and older, including nonresidents, in December 2020. The decision quickly led to a number of foreigners and winter vacationers taking advantage of the program, according to Miami newspaper The Sun-Sentinel, which highlighted a handful of individual offenders in addition to some rising trends in vaccine-driven travel. Locals have raised an outcry in response, with many senior citizens and healthcare professionals decrying the fact that rich visitors from elsewhere can exploit the loophole and “skip the line.”
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has discouraged travelers from visiting the state solely for the sake of scoring a vaccination. However, DeSantis has expressed support for vaccine seekers who own property in Florida but reside elsewhere for at least part of the year.
In execution, cities and counties are responsible for enforcing their own local policies. While Jackson Health System in Miami has yet to update its website’s frequently asked COVID-19 vaccine questions page to reflect the new policy, news outlets report that vaccinations now require either photo identification with birthdate, or two documents proving Florida residency, such as utility bills or tax documents.
Featured photo by Summer Hull for The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees