Finnair could have fleet of electric planes in the sky within 5 years
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Finnair is convinced electric aviation is the future, and it’s ready to commit to adding electric planes to its fleet.
The airline, the national carrier of Finland, signed a letter of interest that could lead to the purchase of up to 20 of Swedish aviation firm Heart Aerospace’s ES-19 electric planes. These are 19-seat aircraft designed to be used on short-haul commuter routes.
Heart Aerospace expects the aircraft to be ready for commercial flights by 2026.
Sign up to receive the daily TPG newsletter for more aviation news!
Finnair is the latest airline to announce plans to join in the race to get electric planes off the ground. Last week, Rolls-Royce and Italian planemaker Tecnam revealed plans to develop an electric passenger jet with Scandinavian regional airline Widerøe. The news comes as the worldwide airline industry looks to achieve “carbon neutral” status by 2050.
“Finnair believes electric aviation will be one of the tools for the future of flying,” Finnair’s Vice President of Sustainability Anne Larilahti said in a press release. “It will help to promote responsible and sustainable aviation, especially on short routes, in an era where climate change will increasingly dominate the agenda. We want to be actively involved in developing and implementing new technologies which enable carbon-neutral flying.”
For Heart Aerospace’s new ES-19 electric jet, it would require Finnair to further rethink its ground operations. The aircraft will require charging points at every airport to which it operates, as the battery will need to be topped up every time the aircraft lands. The batteries are believed to last for 1,000 full charges over their lifetime.
“You need to really understand what is needed at the airports as well,” Larilahti said. “You can’t expand faster than the available infrastructure that supports these planes.”
Finnair has been a part of the Nordic Electric Aviation initiative since 2019 to spur the development of electric flying, with a focus on creating a standardized electric air infrastructure in the Nordic countries. The company has set goals to cut its net CO2 emissions in half by the end of 2025 and achieve carbon neutrality by 2045.
Featured photo courtesy of Heart Aerospace.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees