Finding British Airways and Virgin Atlantic award-seat availability just got a whole lot easier
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spending air miles is often perceived to be harder than earning them in the first place.
One method you can currently use to search for available award seats is Expert Flyer, which is owned by TPG’s parent company, Red Ventures. The site makes it possible to set alerts for when seats open up, as well as search for award availability. Here’s a full guide to award searches on ExpertFlyer to learn more.
Enter Seat Spy, the latest award-seat finding site to join the market. Its initial focus is to make finding British Airways and Virgin Atlantic availability easier than ever.
Turning Left for Less reports that the site is currently in beta mode for testing, but its creators are allowing users to sign up for the complete service for free. Signing up is speedy and easy, and only requires an email address and password.
Signing up enables you to search for seats and set up hourly seat-availability alerts. To start with, email alerts will be sent, but the site has plans for text message alerts in the future.
For the first time ever, it is now possible to search for availability on the full journey from London (LHR) to Sydney (SYD) via Singapore (SIN). The most availability, including quite wide-open availability in First, is showing for May next year.
Hovering over the dates shows how many seats are available in each class.
Once you’ve found availability that suits you, head to British Airways‘ website to verify and book.
In the site’s current beta state, the availability for Virgin is unfortunately 48 hours out of date. Turning Left for Less reports that Seat Spy is working to fix this.
Rather than checking specific dates, the site displays all availability as far in advance as 12 months. For example, Virgin’s seasonal Manchester (MAN) to Los Angeles (LAX) route restarts in May and is already showing limited availability.
The same as for BA, hovering over individual dates shows exactly how many seats are available in each cabin.
Once you’ve found availability that suits you, head to Virgin Atlantic‘s website to verify and book.
Creating alerts couldn’t be easier. Simply scroll to the bottom of the page after searching for availability and fill out the easy-to-use form. You can choose a range of dates rather than just set days as well as multiple cabin classes at once.
This is certainly an improvement on current award-seat availability tools. The fact that it’s free (for now) is an added bonus that every traveler should make the most of while it lasts. In the meantime, you can keep up to date with the latest points and miles news, deals and reviews by signing up for TPG’s daily newsletter.
Featured photo by Simon Dawson/Bloomberg via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees