Etihad makes history with passenger flight from UAE to Israel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Etihad Airways Flight 9607 made history when it landed at Israel’s Ben-Gurion International Airport near Tel Aviv on Monday morning.
The flight – operated with a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner – was touted as first-ever commercial passenger flight to fly between the United Arab Emirates and Israel, and it appears that more could soon be on the way.
Monday’s flight comes after previous flights between the nations that were more ceremonial in nature. In May, Etihad completed the first-ever known flight from the UAE to Israel on an Airbus A330-200 that brought a load of cargo destined for the Palestinian Authority. In August, a Boeing 737-900ER of Israeli carrier El Al flew from Tel Aviv (TLV) to Abu Dhabi with a delegation that included Jared Kushner, President Trump’s son-in-law and advisor.
It all comes amid a broader opening of relations between Israel and the UAE that was formalized in August.
Etihad chairman Mohamed Mubarak Al Mazrouei acknowledged Monday’s flight in a statement, saying his carrier “is delighted to be leading the way” in opening new flights between Israel and the UAE.
Etihad has yet to add a regular schedule for Tel Aviv, but seems set on doing so. The carrier even launched a Hebrew-language booking site as it touted its future plans.
“We are just starting to explore the long-term potential of these newly forged relationships, which will be sure to greatly benefit the economies of both nations, particularly in the areas of trade and tourism, and ultimately the people who call this diverse and wonderful region home,” Al Mazrouei added.
Monday’s flight came just a day after UAE and Israeli officials agreed to a deal that would allow regularly schedule flights between the nations.
The Times of Israel says the deal will allow up to 28 weekly flights between Tel Aviv and the UAE cities of Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Additionally, the pact calls for up to 10 cargo flights per week between the countries and “unlimited” charter flights from the UAE to the southern Israeli resort city of Eilat.
The agreement is expected to be formally signed on Tuesday.
“The aviation agreement will enable tourism, trade, and business between the countries, and is one of the first, important fruits of the peace agreement,” Israel’s Transportation Ministry said in a statement.
Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees