Etihad wants its new Boeing ‘Greenliner’ to become ‘social media star’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re a TPG regular reader, you’ve probably flown a Boeing Dreamliner, but next time you fly Etihad, you may get to travel on the first-ever Greenliner.
The American manufacturer and the Abu Dhabi-based airline have entered a partnership which will see one of Etihad’s new 787s used as a real-life test bed for eco-friendly best practices, the companies announced Monday.
The plane will get a special paint scheme and will enter service next year. Among its early missions: a special “eco flight” from Abu Dhabi to Brussels during Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week in January.
Etihad said the Greenliner flights will act as a “flying laboratory” and will use new procedures and initiatives aimed at reducing fuel consumption and carbon dioxide output. Neither side, however, revealed specific plans for testing that might be done once the jet begins flying to Etihad.
“The 787 Dreamliner and its track record of environmental performance makes it the perfect platform to advance our industry’s commitment to sustainable growth,” Boeing Commercial Airplanes CEO Stan Deal said in a statement. “We look forward to continuing our collaboration with Etihad Airways to identify more opportunities to improve efficiency across commercial aviation.”
As part of the partnership, the two companies will also work together to identify ways of making regular airplane maintenance more efficient.
The tie-up was announced at the Dubai Airshow, where Etihad CEO Tony Douglas said at a press conference that the carrier hoped to make the Greenliner a “social media star.” He added that Etihad would be willing to share eco-friendly findings from this aircraft’s operations with other airlines “because it’s about moving the industry forward in a responsible fashion.”
Douglas noted that Etihad’s age of 16 years makes it one of the younger big carriers in operation today.
“We’re like a millennial and like all good millennials, they’re really focused on the environment and the sustainability agenda,” Douglas said.
Featured image courtesy of Etihad.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees