Etihad wants its new Boeing ‘Greenliner’ to become ‘social media star’
If you’re a TPG regular reader, you’ve probably flown a Boeing Dreamliner, but next time you fly Etihad, you may get to travel on the first-ever Greenliner.
The American manufacturer and the Abu Dhabi-based airline have entered a partnership which will see one of Etihad’s new 787s used as a real-life test bed for eco-friendly best practices, the companies announced Monday.
The plane will get a special paint scheme and will enter service next year. Among its early missions: a special “eco flight” from Abu Dhabi to Brussels during Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week in January.
Etihad said the Greenliner flights will act as a “flying laboratory” and will use new procedures and initiatives aimed at reducing fuel consumption and carbon dioxide output. Neither side, however, revealed specific plans for testing that might be done once the jet begins flying to Etihad.
“The 787 Dreamliner and its track record of environmental performance makes it the perfect platform to advance our industry’s commitment to sustainable growth,” Boeing Commercial Airplanes CEO Stan Deal said in a statement. “We look forward to continuing our collaboration with Etihad Airways to identify more opportunities to improve efficiency across commercial aviation.”
As part of the partnership, the two companies will also work together to identify ways of making regular airplane maintenance more efficient.
The tie-up was announced at the Dubai Airshow, where Etihad CEO Tony Douglas said at a press conference that the carrier hoped to make the Greenliner a “social media star.” He added that Etihad would be willing to share eco-friendly findings from this aircraft’s operations with other airlines “because it’s about moving the industry forward in a responsible fashion.”
Douglas noted that Etihad’s age of 16 years makes it one of the younger big carriers in operation today.
“We’re like a millennial and like all good millennials, they’re really focused on the environment and the sustainability agenda,” Douglas said.
Featured image courtesy of Etihad.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.