Not so Fast: Ethiopian to Reopen Los Angeles-to-Addis Ababa Route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just a day after news broke that Ethiopian Airlines was ending its fifth freedom route between Los Angeles (LAX) and Addis Ababa (ADD) via Dublin (DUB), the airline has decided to reopen the route.
As reported by Routes Online, Ethiopian reopened reservations for the LAX-DUB-ADD route for travel on and after Dec. 16, 2018. As of that date, Ethiopian will resume with 4x weekly LAX-DUB-ADD service using its Boeing 787-8 aircraft.
However, when the route reopens in December, Ethiopian will not have local traffic rights on the Dublin to Los Angeles sector. The flight will operate on the following schedule:
- ET504 Addis Ababa (ADD) 1am Departure ⇒ Dublin (DUB) 6:30am; 7:30am Departure ⇒ Los Angeles (LAX) 10:15am Arrival
- ET505 Los Angeles (LAX) 11:30pm Departure ⇒ Dublin (DUB) 5:30pm (+1) Arrival; 6:30pm (+1) Departure ⇒ Addis Ababa (ADD) 5:20am (+2) Arrival
The LAX-ADD route is best known among AvGeeks for its stop in Dublin with pickup privileges, which allows passengers to travel between California and Ireland on one of TPG‘s favorite fifth freedom routes (No. 8 on this list). The unique transatlantic Dreamliner route was a popular option for traveling in lie-flat business class on a Star Alliance partner.
Featured image by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.