How to Use Emirates Skywards Miles for Luxury Baseball and Soccer Tickets
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Emirates Skywards recently became a Chase transfer partner, but the program in general isn’t too exciting because of the astronomical fuel surcharges it adds to award tickets. It does make luxury cabins like Emirates first and business class affordable to some. However, there are better programs for booking premium cabins to the Middle East, like using American Airlines miles to book Etihad flights.
Just like any program where there doesn’t appear to be significant value on the surface, it’s always worth diving into all of the ways to redeem miles listed on the loyalty program website. A couple of years ago I noticed the Culture & Sport tab under redemption options for Emirates Skywards. While redeeming points and miles for experiences can sometimes be good value, often times they fail to gain interest because they’re marketed wrong or priced so astronomically high that they are out of reach for most.
Emirates, however, has done a great job with their events. You can get tremendous value out of your Skywards miles when you redeem them for sporting events like Los Angeles Dodgers games, European Football matches or ATP Tour Tennis events.
The available events are updated on a regular basis, and in the spring include Los Angeles Dodgers baseball tickets in the Emirates Lounge at Dodger Stadium — with all-inclusive food and beverages. These tickets cost only 12,500 miles per person for the suite experience, and there are usually multiple series across the season that have tickets available.
But you aren’t restricted to American sporting events. At the time of publishing, you can redeem Skywards miles for Arsenal home games at Emirates Stadium in London starting at only 11,000 miles per ticket. For just 22,000 miles, you can score a ticket to the Emirates SkyBox 75 which includes complimentary food and beverages. Here are the starting prices for general admission tickets to home Arsenal matches this fall:
On both the Arsenal and Dodgers websites, there are public prices listed for renting out the entire suite for a game depending on how many people will be attending. If you’re looking to buy the suite, they don’t come cheap — the Arsenal suites start at $8,745 per game, and the Emirates Lounge for Dodgers games start at $6,000.
Other games and sporting events often listed include additional European soccer matches outside of the English Premiership, as well as US Open tennis tickets. It’s worth bookmarking the Emirates redeem miles page and checking back often.
Redeeming so few miles for one of these experiences is an incredible deal. Along with the new partnership with Chase Ultimate Rewards, you can also earn Emirates miles by transferring points from American Express Membership Rewards (1:1 ratio), Capital One (2:1) and Marriott Bonvoy (3:1 with 5,000 bonus miles when you transfer 60,000 points). If you’re looking to boost your account balances, consider one of these current offers:
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card: Earn a welcome bonus of 60,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months.
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: Earn a welcome bonus of 60,000 Membership Rewards points after you use your new card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first three months. However, you may be targeted for a 100,000-point welcome bonus through the CardMatch Tool (offer subject to change at any time). Terms Apply.
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card: Earn a welcome bonus of 50,000 Venture miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
Featured photo courtesy of LA Dodgers
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee