Emirates increases fuel surcharges on award tickets … again
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you think we just reported on this two weeks ago, that’s because we did. Emirates Skywards has increased the cash cost for an award ticket once again, increasing the fees and fuel surcharges you’ll pay when booking an award flight.
After seeing fees go up by as much as $250 on some routes last month, we are now seeing another $180 tacked onto tickets on those same routes this month. Here’s a closer look at the changes and what they mean for your travels.
Sign up for our daily newsletter for more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox.
Emirates increases fuel surcharges again
Last month, we reported that Emirates Skywards had increased fuel surcharges on award redemption tickets. This came in the form of increased costs for “YQ” (the industry notation for fuel surcharges) on the cash portion of tickets.
Increasing these costs is an unfortunate reversal of what we saw in May 2020, when Emirates slashed these fees by hundreds of dollars. The increase is likely due to a jump in fuel prices worldwide, which has affected everyone from commuters to airlines.
Last month, we reported that fuel surcharges had jumped as much as $250 on some routes. Here’s a sample flight from that article, flying from Dulles International Airport (IAD) to Dubai International Airport (DXB).
Here is the same route with the new pricing, which was noticed this week.
Award fees in economy went up by $30, while the fees for flying in business class or first class jumped by $180.
For the Emirates fifth-freedom flight from Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) to Athens International Airport (ATH), here is the pricing from our update in February.
Here is the new pricing, now that Emirates has increased fuel surcharges and award fees once again.
Flying in economy, the cash portion of the ticket has increased by $3. In business and first class, the cash portion increased by $18. These increases are obviously not as drastic as the flights to Emirates’ main hub in Dubai, but still worth keeping in mind as you plan your travels.
Emirates has once again increased its fuel charges, making award booking fees more expensive than they were just last month.
And that’s on top of the fact we saw an increase just last month. Both ANA and British Airways have also increased their fuel surcharges on award tickets recently, given that the global price of oil is going up.
We’re hopeful that these fees will go back down when the price of oil goes down. But if the price of oil continues to climb, we may see these fees increase again and see other airlines increasing their fees, as well.
Featured photo of an Emirates A380 plane tail by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees