Emirates now allows economy passengers to buy empty adjoining seats
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Monday March 1, Emirates announced its economy passengers now have the option of purchasing up to three empty adjacent seats. The move aims to give passengers the option of a more spacious, private and socially distanced economy experience.
All economy class passengers with a confirmed booking will be eligible to purchase extra seats. No extra or exclusive availability will be given to Emirates Skywards members.
Sign up to receive the daily TPG newsletter for more airline news!
Seats will only be bookable at airport check-in counters and will not be available to reserve in advance — Emirates would rather fill its cabin up with passengers than empty seats.
Passengers wishing to buy empty seats can expect to pay from as little as AED 200 up to AED 600 ($55 to $165). Additional taxes will be charged and vary in price depending on the route.
The extra space could benefit all travelers: solo travelers who like their own space, couples who want to ensure they have a row to themselves as well as those traveling with children.
Emirates said it introduced this new economy offering after receiving feedback from passengers who wish to have more space in economy while traveling amid the pandemic.
Similar moves have been made on the other side of the Atlantic, with Delta currently blocking middle seats through April 30, 2021. The U.S. airline has been at the forefront of COVID-19 passenger safety measures, even winning the TPG Spotlight on Safety Award during the 2020 TPG Awards.
Featured photo courtesy of Emirates.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees