El Al and Etihad announce codeshare flights and reciprocal benefits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here’s some news you might not have expected a few years back.
Israeli flag carrier El Al and Abu Dhabi-based Etihad launched a new strategic pact today. It includes a codeshare agreement and new reciprocal frequent flyer benefits for El Al Matmid and Etihad Guest members.
This news comes less than a year after Israel and the United Arab Emirates announced a landmark deal to establish diplomatic relations.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
El Al and Etihad launch partnership
Starting July 18, 2021 El Al will add its “LY” code and start selling seats on Etihad’s twice-weekly flights between Abu Dhabi (AUH) and Tel Aviv (TLV). Then, on Aug. 1, the partnership will expand to include destinations in Australia, Bahrain, India, Korea, the Philippines and Seychelles. In the next phase, the airlines hope to expand the partnership to 14 more destinations across the Middle East, Europe, Asia and U.S. by adding Etihad’s “EY” code to El Al flights.
Like any codeshare agreement, this partnership will offer passengers greater choice and make connections more seamless.
But that’s not all.
El Al and Etihad plan to also establish a reciprocal loyalty agreement. Members will be able to earn and redeem miles across both airlines through the EL AL Matmid and Etihad Guest programs. While details haven’t been revealed yet, there will likely also be reciprocal elite benefits.
This part of the news is especially exciting for points and miles enthusiasts. El Al’s Matmid program doesn’t partner with any of the major transferable points programs and isn’t all that valuable to begin with. However, the Etihad Guest program partners with American Express Membership Rewards, Capital One miles and Citi ThankYou Rewards and offers attractive redemption rates, especially on partners. This means that it will be easier to redeem your flexible points on El Al flights.
El Al’s CEO Avigal Soreq explained, “This is the first commercial partnership that EL AL has established following the Abrahamic Accords. This is an important milestone as this codeshare will bring growing benefits to our passengers and to our respective airlines and countries. EL AL and Etihad teams have a common goal in this partnership, and we look forward to see it grow in the future.”
Overall, this announcement is great news for travelers heading to the Middle East. Both airlines significantly scaled back their route networks due to the pandemic, so travelers will benefit from the joint network. Israel-bound travelers might appreciate Etihad’s more premium inflight products and will have more ways to redeem points and miles for El Al flights.
Featured photo by KITTIKUN YOKSAP/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees