Edinburgh Airport to get a Plaza Premium lounge this Summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Scotland’s busiest airport has just provided travelers with an extra reason to fly from the ‘Athens of the North’ on the back of news that a new Plaza Premium lounge is imminent at Edinburgh (EDI).
In addition to the airport’s two existing lounges (those belonging to British Airways and Aspire, respectfully), the 2,198 sq ft. space will be the group’s first operation in Scotland and join a global portfolio of over 180 lounges when it opens its doors this July.
For more travel news and advice, make sure to sign up for our daily newsletter.
Located next to gates 13 and 14, it will have a capacity for 165 customers and offer far more than just a tidy buffet and free WiFi, with plans also afoot for an ‘interactive’ big screen area for live sport and entertainment, table football, shuffleboard tables and even a small climbing wall for kids.
When not drinking in the views that take in the runway and the rolling countryside, guests can also enjoy the perks of a cocktail bar built in collaboration with Edinburgh Gin, featuring special concoctions from the local distillery. And that’s just the tip of the ice tray…
There will be lots more local inspiration at play, including the interior, which, according to the designers, will feature “subtle Scottish elements woven into the interior design, from tartan upholstery to carefully selected local artwork referencing key Scottish landmarks and iconic imagery”.
“We are pleased to offer all these unique features to our travelers at our first Plaza Premium Lounge at Edinburgh Airport,” said Okan Kufeci, a regional general manager of Plaza Premium Group. “Our latest offerings prove that we are constantly improving our products and services to cater to the different market needs whilst incorporating local touches to the experience.
“We are excited to be able to provide our award-winning, best-in-class signature hospitality in our third location in the UK and to introduce more travelers to the Plaza Premium Group. We look forward to expanding to more locations at major airports in Europe and in the UK in the months to follow.”
But why now, you may ask? The smart money is on the fact Virgin Atlantic now flies direct from Edinburgh to the Caribbean and Florida. It may not have escaped your attention that Plaza Premium currently run all of Virgin Atlantic’s lounges outside of London Heathrow.
Still, with no official link between Virgin Atlantic’s new operations as yet, the new lounge will cater for all air passengers regardless of airline or class. You can even show up on the day, and it couldn’t be better timed for passengers who’ll be looking to avoid the incoming hubbub of summer as a raft of cancelations and delays are expected.
Ferrying 14.7 million passengers per year, and hitting 158 destinations across 37 airlines, Edinburgh remains the 6th busiest airport in the U.K.
For now, there’s no way of booking into the lounge but expect costs to be around the $37 (£30)- $49 (£40) mark for a two-hour visit. Using Gatwick North Terminal’s Premier Plaza lounge as an example, two hours can be booked in midweek for $44.50 (£36).
Premium Plaza’s in-house points program is Smart Traveller, which offers plenty of benefits and rewards for customers. Right now, travelers at Edinburgh can enjoy an opening offer of 10% for walk-in and 20% discount with their Smart Traveller membership.
We’ll see you there.
Image courtesy of Plaza Premium Lounge.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees