Virgin Atlantic will launch direct flights from Scotland to Barbados and Florida
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Beginning this winter, Virgin Atlantic will fly internationally out of Edinburgh (EDI) for the first time.
The carrier just announced it’s adding direct, twice-weekly flights from the Scottish capital to Barbados (BGI) to meet the growing demand for the Caribbean destination. Virgin Atlantic will use an Airbus A330, giving passengers the ability to fly there in Upper Class (which offers an exclusive bar area and lie-flat beds), and Premium, which offers seats with a 38-inch (96-cm) seat pitch, welcome drinks and fine dining.
When they launch, these will be the only direct flights from Scotland to the Caribbean.
Make sure you never miss a thing, subscribe to our daily newsletter.
Virgin Atlantic also said it will launch Edinburgh to Orlando, Florida (MCO) flights from April 2022. Those routes will also be offered twice weekly on an Airbus A330-200.
The arrival of long-haul international service from Edinburgh is seen as a key step in the Scottish travel industry’s slow bounce back from the coronavirus pandemic.
Related: A review of Virgin Atlantic’s A350
“Our two new routes provide an array of holiday options to suit everyone,” Virgin Atlantic said in a statement. “From family fun and the thrills of Orlando’s theme parks to the stunning beaches and chilled-out vibes in Barbados, we’re confident there’s something to love for all of our Scottish customers.”
Tickets for both the Barbados and Orlando routes go on sale from Aug. 18, with prices starting from $581 (£419) per person.
With Barbados among several Caribbean nations currently on the U.K.’s travel green list, the airline expects it to be a popular choice for a winter getaway this year, especially with direct flights. Travelers looking to venture farther can book connections from Barbados to other sunny islands such as Grenada, St. Vincent and Tobago through Virgin Atlantic’s connecting flights with Caribbean Airlines.
One casualty of Virgin Atlantic’s just-announced routes is that the Glasgow (GLA) to Orlando service that has operated since 2007 will no longer be offered.
Featured image by Bloomberg for Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees