This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Gasbuddy, the app and website that help drivers find the lowest gas prices at gas stations, is announcing a new partnership to help drivers save even more.
Shop Your Way and Gasbuddy have joined together to improve the Pay with GasBuddy program by adding the ability to earn Shop Your Way points when using Pay with GasBuddy.
For those unfamiliar with Pay with Gasbuddy, it offers cash back on every gallon of gas purchased. You’re able to earn five cents off per gallon when using the service and 10 cents off per gallon on the first fill up. You just pay at the pump normally with the Pay with GasBuddy card, which is hooked up to your checking account.
GasBuddy’s value proposition was to make it easier for drivers to save money at the pump instead of being tied to a single station’s loyalty program. This way, you can save time and fuel up at any station you want.
When using Pay with GasBuddy, you’ll now have the option of earning cash back toward gas or Shop Your Way points. Members will receive the following if they choose Shop Your Way points:
- $.30 per gallon in points for paid fill-ups for first 60 days after pairing account with Shop Your Way
- $.15 per gallon in points for every paid fill-up thereafter
Shop Your Way points can be redeemed at Sears, Kmart and other retailers for discounts on items from all over the stores. While they aren’t the most valuable points, it’s nice to have another option to earn points when making purchases. You can also earn Shop Your Way points on every Uber ride, too.
The main downside of using Pay With Gasbuddy is that you won’t be earning credit card points because the system debits money from your checking account.
It makes sense to compare Pay With Gasbuddy earnings to one of the best cards for gas purchases like the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express which earns 3% cash back on gas station purchases. The Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi offers 4% cash back on eligible gas purchases (up to $7,000 a year), including Costco gas stations. The Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express gets 2x Membership Rewards points on every purchase (on up to $50,000 a year; then 1x). Finally the Chase Freedom occasionally earns 5x Ultimate Rewards points on gas station purchases during its rotating category bonuses.
Let’s take AAA national average gas price of $2.61 per gallon. If you used the Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express, you’d earn 78 cents back on a 10-gallon purchase. If you chose to earn Shop Your Way points, you’d earn $1.50 from the same fill up. If you were in the first 60 days of linking your account, you’d earn $3 back in points. Earning traditional GasBuddy rewards would only get you 50 cents. The Blue Business Plus card would earn 52 Membership Rewards points worth about $1 according to TPG‘s valuations.
Also, note that the Shop Your Way points will expire 60 days after they’ve been earned, and you’re locked into redeeming them at just a few retailers. It could make more sense to pay with a credit card that earns points that can be transferred to travel partners, used in a bank’s travel portal or redeemed for cash back.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards