This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Gasbuddy, the app and website that help drivers find the lowest gas prices at gas stations, is announcing a new partnership to help drivers save even more.
Shop Your Way and Gasbuddy have joined together to improve the Pay with GasBuddy program by adding the ability to earn Shop Your Way points when using Pay with GasBuddy.
For those unfamiliar with Pay with Gasbuddy, it offers cash back on every gallon of gas purchased. You’re able to earn five cents off per gallon when using the service and 10 cents off per gallon on the first fill up. You just pay at the pump normally with the Pay with GasBuddy card, which is hooked up to your checking account.
GasBuddy’s value proposition was to make it easier for drivers to save money at the pump instead of being tied to a single station’s loyalty program. This way, you can save time and fuel up at any station you want.
When using Pay with GasBuddy, you’ll now have the option of earning cash back toward gas or Shop Your Way points. Members will receive the following if they choose Shop Your Way points:
- $.30 per gallon in points for paid fill-ups for first 60 days after pairing account with Shop Your Way
- $.15 per gallon in points for every paid fill-up thereafter
Shop Your Way points can be redeemed at Sears, Kmart and other retailers for discounts on items from all over the stores. While they aren’t the most valuable points, it’s nice to have another option to earn points when making purchases. You can also earn Shop Your Way points on every Uber ride, too.
The main downside of using Pay With Gasbuddy is that you won’t be earning credit card points because the system debits money from your checking account.
It makes sense to compare Pay With Gasbuddy earnings to one of the best cards for gas purchases like the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express which earns 3% cash back on gas station purchases. The Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi offers 4% cash back on eligible gas purchases (up to $7,000 a year), including Costco gas stations. The Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express gets 2x Membership Rewards points on every purchase (on up to $50,000 a year; then 1x). Finally the Chase Freedom occasionally earns 5x Ultimate Rewards points on gas station purchases during its rotating category bonuses.
Let’s take AAA national average gas price of $2.61 per gallon. If you used the Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express, you’d earn 78 cents back on a 10-gallon purchase. If you chose to earn Shop Your Way points, you’d earn $1.50 from the same fill up. If you were in the first 60 days of linking your account, you’d earn $3 back in points. Earning traditional GasBuddy rewards would only get you 50 cents. The Blue Business Plus card would earn 52 Membership Rewards points worth about $1 according to TPG‘s valuations.
Also, note that the Shop Your Way points will expire 60 days after they’ve been earned, and you’re locked into redeeming them at just a few retailers. It could make more sense to pay with a credit card that earns points that can be transferred to travel partners, used in a bank’s travel portal or redeemed for cash back.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees