Downtown LA to LAX in 8 Minutes for $1? Elon Musk Says It’s Possible
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Elon Musk truly wants to avoid traffic. With his Hyperloop plans making progress, Musk shared new details to make it easier to avoid traffic and make airport connections smoother.
In an event at the Leo Baeck Temple in Bel Air, Musk talked about plans for building a tunnel between downtown Los Angeles and LAX International Airport. The tunnel would be built by Musk’s Boring Company, a venture that hopes to make tunnels beneath cities for Hyperloop pods and other new transportation technologies.
The tunnel would start near Dodger Stadium, near downtown LA, and go direct to LAX — all in just 8 minutes. A Google Maps search shows the journey can take one to two hours by car during rush hour. Google Maps says that using public transit would take about an hour to get from downtown LA to the airport.
Now this isn’t the jet-speed Hyperloop that you’ll be on, but a simpler Loop system that can ferry cars or pedestrians at speeds of 150mph. Travelers on foot and bicycles will take priority over cars, and Musk shared that rides will cost just a single dollar. Electric-powered pods would hold 16 passengers and hundreds of parking-space sized entrances will be placed throughout the Loop system.
The Los Angeles City council recently approved a 2.7-mile test tunnel between West LA and Culver City, and the approval did not require an environmental impact report. Musk said that the Boring Company would complete its own report.
“If you build a tunnel in L.A., you can build one anywhere,” Musk said. “You won’t even know we exist…If we can’t do a two-mile tunnel without disturbing people, how can we do hundreds of miles?”
The Loop system will be constructed in conjunction with LA Metro system. LAX recently shared details of its new people mover system that would offer connections to the LA Metro, too — so it’s possible we’ll see a link between the Loop and people mover.
Part of the project will run alongside the 405 freeway, which is known for horrible traffic in the Los Angeles area — Musk compared the road’s traffic to somewhere between the seventh and the eighth circles of hell.
It’s unclear when will we see the first Loop in full service, but Musk recently said that the first tunnel under LA was nearing completion and that pending regulatory approval, the company will be “offering free rides to the public in a few months.”
The construction of underground tunnels is incredibly slow, and laughably, Musk and Boring Company project leader Steve Davis wants to make the Boring machine match the speed of a snail. That would increase its current construction speed of .003 mph to .03 mph.
Featured image courtesy of the Boring Company.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees