Downtown LA to LAX in 8 Minutes for $1? Elon Musk Says It’s Possible
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Elon Musk truly wants to avoid traffic. With his Hyperloop plans making progress, Musk shared new details to make it easier to avoid traffic and make airport connections smoother.
In an event at the Leo Baeck Temple in Bel Air, Musk talked about plans for building a tunnel between downtown Los Angeles and LAX International Airport. The tunnel would be built by Musk’s Boring Company, a venture that hopes to make tunnels beneath cities for Hyperloop pods and other new transportation technologies.
The tunnel would start near Dodger Stadium, near downtown LA, and go direct to LAX — all in just 8 minutes. A Google Maps search shows the journey can take one to two hours by car during rush hour. Google Maps says that using public transit would take about an hour to get from downtown LA to the airport.
Now this isn’t the jet-speed Hyperloop that you’ll be on, but a simpler Loop system that can ferry cars or pedestrians at speeds of 150mph. Travelers on foot and bicycles will take priority over cars, and Musk shared that rides will cost just a single dollar. Electric-powered pods would hold 16 passengers and hundreds of parking-space sized entrances will be placed throughout the Loop system.
The Los Angeles City council recently approved a 2.7-mile test tunnel between West LA and Culver City, and the approval did not require an environmental impact report. Musk said that the Boring Company would complete its own report.
“If you build a tunnel in L.A., you can build one anywhere,” Musk said. “You won’t even know we exist…If we can’t do a two-mile tunnel without disturbing people, how can we do hundreds of miles?”
The Loop system will be constructed in conjunction with LA Metro system. LAX recently shared details of its new people mover system that would offer connections to the LA Metro, too — so it’s possible we’ll see a link between the Loop and people mover.
Part of the project will run alongside the 405 freeway, which is known for horrible traffic in the Los Angeles area — Musk compared the road’s traffic to somewhere between the seventh and the eighth circles of hell.
It’s unclear when will we see the first Loop in full service, but Musk recently said that the first tunnel under LA was nearing completion and that pending regulatory approval, the company will be “offering free rides to the public in a few months.”
The construction of underground tunnels is incredibly slow, and laughably, Musk and Boring Company project leader Steve Davis wants to make the Boring machine match the speed of a snail. That would increase its current construction speed of .003 mph to .03 mph.
Featured image courtesy of the Boring Company.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.