Why You Shouldn’t Buy a Flight You Don’t Intend to Fly in Singapore
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A man was arrested at Singapore’s Changi Airport (SIN) after he bought a plane ticket in order to accompany his wife to her boarding gate. The Independent reports that the 27-year-old man in question bought a ticket on a flight that he had no intention of taking so that he could make his way through airport security and into the terminal to be able to wave goodbye to his wife.
In Singaporean law, the ‘misuse of a boarding pass’ is illegal, and the man was arrested. The Singapore Police Force posted a photo of a sign in the country’s airport to Facebook, which warns people of the consequence of misusing a boarding pass.
In the Police Force’s caption, the organization said that it has arrested 33 people for the misuse of boarding passes since January 2019.
The post warns of the possibility of being prosecuted in court. Maximum fines can reach $20,000, or imprisonment of up to two years.
This is a stark reminder that laws can vary drastically from country to country.
Featured image by John Harper/Getty Images
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.