Disneyland announces planned reopening date — Here’s what you need to know
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Disneyland in Anaheim, California, celebrates its 65th anniversary on July 17 of this year. It’s likely no coincidence that the theme park has just announced that date as its target for reopening, pending necessary government approvals.
That will place Disneyland just six days behind the July 11 reopening date for the Disney World theme parks in Florida.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
Like at Disney World, Disneyland will utilize a phased reopening approach that begins with the reopening of the Downtown Disney shopping and dining area on July 9.
The two adjacent theme parks — Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure Park — plan to reopen on July 17.
Related: Where to stay at Disneyland
Then, Disneyland’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa as well as Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel, plan to reopen on July 23. A reopening date for the namesake Disneyland Hotel was not included in today’s release.
Mirroring what was announced for Disney World, Disneyland will manage “significantly limited capacity” using a new theme park reservation system that will require all guests — including those with an annual pass — to make a reservation for entry in advance. Also like at Disney World, new ticket sales are temporarily suspended at this time.
However, the third-party site, Getaway Today, does still have Disneyland tickets available for sale, for what they expect will be a short period of time.
Related: How to use points for Disney tickets
Parades, firework shows and other experiences that traditionally draw large crowds all at once won’t immediately return when the gates reopen.
While specific details outlining Disneyland’s reopening plan have yet to come, we now know when the theme park that started it all plans to restart the magic. As was clear from TPG’s visit to Universal Orlando on its recent opening day, the theme park experience will be dramatically different from when things shut down in mid-March, but it’s a huge step forward for the California tourism sector and would-be visitors to have Disneyland on the path to unlock the gates.
Featured image courtesy of Summer Hull/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees