United is discounting Skip Waitlist, MileagePlus Upgrade Awards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Demand for leisure travel continues to grow by the week — with more Americans getting vaccinated, and the world opening up to U.S. passport holders, I imagine that’s a trend we’ll continue to see over the next couple of months.
Like other global airlines, United wants to be in the best possible position to capitalize on that renewed travel interest. United has been quick to expand service throughout the pandemic, and now the airline is adding extra incentives to book, in the form of discounted premium-cabin upgrades.
TPG had a chance to chat with Luc Bondar, the head of MileagePlus, who outlined two especially appealing promotions that help make it more cost-effective to lock in a long-haul upgrade.
The first option applies to all MileagePlus members, giving customers an opportunity to redeem their miles to move up to Polaris business class on flights between the U.S. and Europe at a discount. While the mileage co-pay requirement remains the same, cash co-pays have been discounted by 25%, as outlined below.
Some upgrades will be waitlisted — you may clear into Premium Plus or business class before the day of departure, or at the gate — though many flights have availability to confirm an upgrade at booking. See our guide to upgrading your United flight for more.
If you’re looking to grow your United balance quickly, the speediest option is to transfer points instantly from Ultimate Rewards, earned with cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and Chase Sapphire Reserve.
Previously, confirmed Skip Waitlist redemptions required 140 PlusPoints to move from economy to Polaris or 70 PlusPoints to upgrade to Premium Economy — those redemptions currently require 100 and 50 PlusPoints, respectively.
The airline has also expanded Skip Waitlist to include many flights between the U.S. and Europe, along with flights to other destinations. See this detailed post for a closer look at how to take advantage.
Both of these promotions are in place for travel between now and Sept. 15, 2021. It’s possible that United could extend them into the fall and winter, perhaps depending on whether or not business travel demand returns.
What’s clear is that there’s growing demand among leisure travelers — it remains to be seen whether or not that momentum will continue to grow.
“When I look at the award booking activity that we’ve had over the last 30 days, and then the last 14 days and then the last seven days, these are record levels that we’re seeing, Bondar said. “[This Tuesday] alone was our single largest booking day for awards [since the start of the pandemic],” he said.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees