TSA Might Send Your Loose Change From the Airport to Fund Border Security
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
According to a contingency plan procured by NBC News, the Department of Homeland Security has requested $232 million from the Transportation Security Administration to fund border operations in case Congress denies its $1.1 billion funding request.
Through a PowerPoint presentation and internal emails, the TSA outlined a plan last week that would involve cutting funding from other projects and programs. This includes $50 million set aside to buy advanced airport screening equipment, $64 million of a worker’s compensation fund for injured TSA workers from 2010 and, oddly enough, $3 million collected from loose change left in airport security trays.
The report also read that the request could also affect funding for the TSA officers stationed at security checkpoints at airports. If this goes through, the NBC report suggested the budget cuts could drastically impact wait times for travelers — especially amid peak tourism season in early summer.
TSA documents also show that its list of potential programs to cut was due last Friday, so whether or not DHS’s plan was approved is currently unknown.
On May 1, President Donald Trump asked for $4.5 billion from Congress to manage the recent influx of undocumented immigrants crossing the southern US border. Of that, $1.1 billion is specifically for border operations, including “personnel expenses, additional detention beds, and operations combating human smuggling and trafficking,” according to the White House.
Featured image by Jasper Juinen/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.