Delta adding new long-haul service to Stockholm
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines continues to beef up its transatlantic flight schedule with the announcement of a new daily long-haul route from New York City to Stockholm, Sweden. The flight from Kennedy Airport (JFK) to Stockholm’s Arlanda Airport (ARN) will debut June 1 and will be offered through the fall.
The news of a new Delta overseas route comes as the carrier reduced routes to some smaller U.S. destinations and dropped three cities from its flight network.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
In a statement to TPG, a Delta spokesperson confirmed the new route to its summer 2022 network:
“We’re focused on bringing back the routes and destinations our customers love. Customers planning next summer’s European vacation will discover more routes, premium seats and destinations in 2022. This will include daily service to Stockholm from New York-JFK starting June 1, 2022 with Boeing 767-300 aircraft.”
Here is the daily schedule for the new flight once it debuts June 1st.
Departure – Leaves JFK at 7:30pm, lands at ARN at 9:30am (next day)
Return – Leaves ARN at 11:30am, lands at JFK at 2:10pm (all times local)
This actually marks the return of a route Delta used to operate regularly until 2017. Since then, the airline has offered seasonal flights between NYC and Stockholm, using a 757 with lie-flat business class seats.
For the new daily service, a reconfigured 216-seat Boeing 767-300ER will be used. The wide-body jet has these different cabin classes:
- Delta One business class (1-2-1 layout) – 26 lie-flat seats
- Premium Economy (2-2-2 layout) – 18 seats (sold as Premium Select)
- Economy (extra legroom, 2-3-2 layout) – 21 seats
- Standard Economy (2-3-2 layout) – 151 seats
Every passenger will have access on-demand entertainment via seatback screens, WiFi as well as USB and power outlets.
As TPG has reported before, Europe is a major priority for Delta as it looks to rebuild its business after the pandemic essentially grounded commercial air travel for nearly two years. Including the new Stockholm route and others in Africa and the Middle East, Delta will offer more than two dozen transatlantic routes in the summer of 2022. The airline will have as many as 30 flights to Europe departing each day from Kennedy Airport.
The European market has traditionally been a Delta stronghold, and adding these flights shows the carrier is confident that demand for overseas travel will continue to grow.
Delta is far from the only airline shoring up its transatlantic plans, however. Finnair is launching daily service between JFK-ARN as well. United will have daily flights to ARN taking off from Newark Liberty Airport (EWR).
Additional reporting by Zach Griff and Clint Henderson.
Featured Image: Manabu Takahashi for Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees