The reason Delta doesn’t have free Wi-Fi yet? Tech limits, CEO says
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines has long promised the days of unlimited free Wi-Fi are coming for its passengers, but according to its CEO, the company isn’t quite ready to roll it out.
“It is really just a question of technical (features). It is not economics. I am nervous that if we turned it on, it’s going to cause system outages,” Ed Bastian said at the Skift Forum in New York on Wednesday.
The airline tested unlimited free Wi-Fi on select flights in May, but Bastian said the results weren’t as promising as he’d hoped.
Wi-Fi provider Gogo has significantly improved its reliability, Bastian said at the forum, but added it still doesn’t work as intended under heavy usage. The airline found in tests that when Wi-Fi is free, passengers may connect as many as three devices each on a long flight.
But, Bastian said, the goal is still for free Wi-Fi to be available to all Delta passengers in the near future.
For comparison, JetBlue already offers free high-speed Wi-Fi on its flights, but that service is provided by Viasat. JetBlue may also have fewer technical limitations, as it only flies within the Americas and not (yet) on long trans-oceanic routes. For more information on inflight Wi-Fi, you can check out our evaluation of who has the best Wi-Fi among US airlines.
Featured photo by Darren Murph / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.