‘Rocky Ride’ Delta Flight Draws Heavy Emergency Response, Several Passengers Treated
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers on board a Delta Air Lines flight from Minneapolis (MSP) to San Jose (SJC) were glad to see the ground when they landed at SJC.
Delta Flight 1732 reported that it was landing at SJC with multiple sick passengers on board, triggering an emergency response. When the aircraft landed at SJC at 7:10pm PT, emergency crews stationed themselves not only in front of the gate, but in front of the airport’s Terminal A.
Passengers on board Delta Flight 172, which was operated by a McDonnell Douglas MD-90 (registration N929DN), told ABC7 News that the flight was “a rocky ride,” with several people reportedly suffering from motion sickness. One man described the trip as like being on a boat — the aircraft was constantly moving up and down in a rocking motion.
One passenger reportedly disappeared in the lavatory for an hour before kneeling in the aisle. A fellow passenger ended up handing her an air sickness bag.
Upon landing, passengers who were sick were told to stay on board, while everyone else was allowed to deplane.
The San Jose Fire Department said that two passengers suffered motion sickness on the flight and vomited. Another five passengers became ill as a reaction to the first two. No passengers were taken to the hospital.
We reached out to Delta for a statement, but as of publication, have yet to hear back.
*Update 3/30/18 9:50am ET: Delta has issued the following statement: “Several customers became ill on flight 1732 from MSP to SJC. Paramedics met the flight upon landing, after which all the customers deplaned normally.”
Featured image by Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees