‘Rocky Ride’ Delta Flight Draws Heavy Emergency Response, Several Passengers Treated
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers on board a Delta Air Lines flight from Minneapolis (MSP) to San Jose (SJC) were glad to see the ground when they landed at SJC.
Delta Flight 1732 reported that it was landing at SJC with multiple sick passengers on board, triggering an emergency response. When the aircraft landed at SJC at 7:10pm PT, emergency crews stationed themselves not only in front of the gate, but in front of the airport’s Terminal A.
Passengers on board Delta Flight 172, which was operated by a McDonnell Douglas MD-90 (registration N929DN), told ABC7 News that the flight was “a rocky ride,” with several people reportedly suffering from motion sickness. One man described the trip as like being on a boat — the aircraft was constantly moving up and down in a rocking motion.
One passenger reportedly disappeared in the lavatory for an hour before kneeling in the aisle. A fellow passenger ended up handing her an air sickness bag.
Upon landing, passengers who were sick were told to stay on board, while everyone else was allowed to deplane.
The San Jose Fire Department said that two passengers suffered motion sickness on the flight and vomited. Another five passengers became ill as a reaction to the first two. No passengers were taken to the hospital.
We reached out to Delta for a statement, but as of publication, have yet to hear back.
*Update 3/30/18 9:50am ET: Delta has issued the following statement: “Several customers became ill on flight 1732 from MSP to SJC. Paramedics met the flight upon landing, after which all the customers deplaned normally.”
Featured image by Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.