Delta inks deal with caterer Do & Co, signaling a return of inflight meals this spring
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you have flown on any U.S. airline during the pandemic, you likely saw limited food and beverage service on your flight.
Delta has made some of the most significant inflight catering cuts domestically. For instance, only snack boxes are offered in Delta One, even on premium routes such as between New York and Los Angeles.
While these service reductions have been touted as ways to keep passengers safe, it also helps airlines reduce costs during a challenging financial period.
Naturally, inflight meals and full beverages for Delta will have to make a comeback at some point — and we now know a bit more about what that might look like in 2021.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Delta has entered an agreement with notable food services company Do & Co to become the airline’s sole hub caterer in Detroit. While Austria-based Do & Co has catering deals with dozens of airlines worldwide, it’s synonymous with the distinguished inflight dining experiences for business class passengers on Austrian Airlines and Turkish Airlines.
Will this be something we can expect for Delta One in the future? Well, perhaps, but likely not at the levels that we see with the aforementioned airlines.
That’s because Turkish and Austrian are two of the very few carriers that staff flights with onboard chefs, which, in theory, results in consistent, higher-quality inflight meals. Additionally, airlines are primarily responsible for designing the menus and recipes — not the caterers. However, this is still an exciting prospect for Delta passengers in all classes of service.
In its press release, Do & Co suggested that it’s “unparalleled depth of culinary expertise” will help Delta “improve the inflight customer experience.”
The Do & Co partnership with Delta kicks in on March 16, 2021 with a contract set for at least 10 years. The premium caterer also hinted that it will look to do business at Delta’s other hubs later in 2021.
Interestingly, March is also when Delta’s commitment to blocking middle seats ends. Presumably, this March launch with Do & Co may signal the restart of inflight meals and catering.
According to Delta’s current schedule on March 16, some of the first international flights to receive new Do & Co catering will be service to Tokyo (HND), Seoul (ICN), Paris (CDG) and Amsterdam (AMS).
Featured photo by Zach Griff / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.