Delta inks deal with caterer Do & Co, signaling a return of inflight meals this spring
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you have flown on any U.S. airline during the pandemic, you likely saw limited food and beverage service on your flight.
Delta has made some of the most significant inflight catering cuts domestically. For instance, only snack boxes are offered in Delta One, even on premium routes such as between New York and Los Angeles.
While these service reductions have been touted as ways to keep passengers safe, it also helps airlines reduce costs during a challenging financial period.
Naturally, inflight meals and full beverages for Delta will have to make a comeback at some point — and we now know a bit more about what that might look like in 2021.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Delta has entered an agreement with notable food services company Do & Co to become the airline’s sole hub caterer in Detroit. While Austria-based Do & Co has catering deals with dozens of airlines worldwide, it’s synonymous with the distinguished inflight dining experiences for business class passengers on Austrian Airlines and Turkish Airlines.
Will this be something we can expect for Delta One in the future? Well, perhaps, but likely not at the levels that we see with the aforementioned airlines.
That’s because Turkish and Austrian are two of the very few carriers that staff flights with onboard chefs, which, in theory, results in consistent, higher-quality inflight meals. Additionally, airlines are primarily responsible for designing the menus and recipes — not the caterers. However, this is still an exciting prospect for Delta passengers in all classes of service.
In its press release, Do & Co suggested that it’s “unparalleled depth of culinary expertise” will help Delta “improve the inflight customer experience.”
The Do & Co partnership with Delta kicks in on March 16, 2021 with a contract set for at least 10 years. The premium caterer also hinted that it will look to do business at Delta’s other hubs later in 2021.
Interestingly, March is also when Delta’s commitment to blocking middle seats ends. Presumably, this March launch with Do & Co may signal the restart of inflight meals and catering.
According to Delta’s current schedule on March 16, some of the first international flights to receive new Do & Co catering will be service to Tokyo (HND), Seoul (ICN), Paris (CDG) and Amsterdam (AMS).
Featured photo by Zach Griff / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees