Delta’s New Augmented Reality App Might Keep Your Kid Mesmerized While Flying
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If Delta plans to continue its streak of record quarters in the future, it needs to generate the next wave of loyal flyers. The airline’s latest launch aims to achieve precisely that with the Cloud Crew augmented reality app that brings the world of Delta to the youngest of passengers.
The app is available on Apple’s App Store now, with Delta confirming to TPG that it’s in early stages of testing. The app is designed to keep children engaged throughout the travel journey, while making them feel as if they’re a part of it. You can’t plant AvGeek seeds too early.
Within the app, kids (or adults) can soar through the air with a virtual Delta or Virgin Atlantic airplane, with their real-life camera setting creating the backdrop. You can collect miles and bonus points, though sadly not the kind that you can exchange for award tickets.
Related: Guide to Flying With Kids
TPG had its own in-house 9-year-old budding #AvGeek (Mommy Points‘ daughter) test out the app. Her initial reports were that flying the plane is a little complicated, but pretty fun once you figure it out. Since it uses the camera on your device, she thinks the flight background will be even cooler if you use it while looking out the window while in flight. She’d also like to see additional games, features and bonuses for “leveling up” added beyond the single flight game.
Cloud Crew is available for free download in the US, UK and The Netherlands, with plans to gauge customer feedback before expanding worldwide with future versions of the game.
Delta is giving another nod to young fliers by offering customers on three daily flights departing Orlando a take-home plush toy version of the Delta airplane featured in the app, through Oct. 11. Delta already ranked well in the last TPG Best Airlines for Families study, but little things go a long way for family travelers, so we hope the airline continues to test and expand focused offerings.
Featured image courtesy of Delta Air Lines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees