Delta CEO says he’d fly on the Boeing 737 MAX once it’s back in the air
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines CEO Ed Bastian said he would fly on Boeing’s troubled 737 MAX once it returns to service. Delta has not ordered the MAX, but Bastian made his comments about the plane when asked about the subject during a Friday interview on network television.
“Obviously it needs to continue to go through the certification process,” Bastian said on CBS This Morning. He added he’ll have no doubt about the airplane’s safety “once the regulators get comfortable with it.”
While there are no 737 MAXes in Delta’s fleet, the airline has seen a profit boost from “spillover demand” as some of its competitors that do fly the MAX have had to trim their schedules. But, Bastian pointed out, Delta is one of the world’s largest operators of Boeing aircraft, and he said he’s confident the company builds safe, reliable airplanes.
“Boeing is an amazing company,” he told CBS. “We’re the second-largest operator of Boeing equipment in the world. We fly over 600 Boeing aircraft. There’s no question that this is going to bring up opportunities to improve safety and learn more as we go forth. But transportation in the U.S., particularly air travel, is the safest of any transportation system in the world.”
Bastian’s comments on Friday mirror others he’s previously made on the subject, including in a May interview with CNBC when he also said then that he’d fly on the jet once it returned to service.
The global 737 MAX fleet remains grounded following two accidents that left 346 people dead. An automated flight control system is suspected of contributing to both disasters, and Boeing and regulators have been working on a fix since March. Some airlines will have their MAX fleets grounded for almost a year if the current projections for the planes’ return to service hold.
Featured photo by Stephen Brashear/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees