It’s all hands on deck as Delta asks ‘volunteers’ to clean Sky Clubs
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While a handful of locations remain temporarily closed, many have already reopened, including a whopping eight at Delta’s Atlanta (ATL) hub.
Unfortunately, the airline hasn’t been able to restore staffing levels quickly enough — particularly in Atlanta. As referenced on FlyerTalk, and first reported by Twitter user “JonNYC”, Delta is now calling on salaried employees to “volunteer” to help out with Sky Club shifts.
In a memo to employees, the airline stated that it’s currently “severely understaffed in the ATL Sky Club” — apparently to the tune of 115 contractors. ATL-area employees are being asked to lend a hand: “Just come to the ATL airport for a few hours to help with cleaning, wiping tables, running food, restocking food buffets, etc.,” the memo reads.
A spokesperson confirmed the move, explaining:
“Just as we’ve done for years with Peach Corps employee volunteers during our busiest travel seasons, we have asked Atlanta-based, salaried employees to volunteer in our Atlanta Delta Sky Clubs to help meet the rapid, recent increases in customer volumes and ensure that our teams continuously deliver the elevated Club experiences our customers have come to expect. No matter where a Delta employee works – whether in the operation or at headquarters – one thing consistent among all Delta people is their willingness to lend a hand. It is part of Delta’s culture and is the Delta Difference.”
This particular request applies to salaried employees currently working in Delta’s Atlanta headquarters — aside from designated staff, I wouldn’t expect to find flight attendants, pilots and other non-HQ employees working in the lounge.
Delta is currently working with contractors to hire and onboard new Sky Club employees — since these particular jobs are on the “secure” side of the airport, extra security screening and training is involved, further complicating the process.
For now, “volunteers” can wear black slacks and a white shirt, according to the memo — if you encounter anyone who matches that description in an ATL Sky Club, I’d be extra gracious, given the unusual ask.
Featured photo by Darren Murph/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees