Another new anti-coronavirus measure from Delta – antimicrobial bins for security checkpoints
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Before the pandemic, you likely didn’t pay much attention to the bins you put your wallet, cellphone and keys at the security checkpoint.
But this is a different world now, and high-touch spots like airports have come under scrutiny as the coronavirus pandemic rages on.
Delta Air Lines this week announced that it would partner with the Transportation Security Administration to roll out antimicrobial bins to automated screening lanes at select airports. The bins will be used at Delta hubs like Atlanta (ATL), Minneapolis (MSP), Los Angeles (LAX), New York-LaGuardia and JFK but will be rolled out at other airports.
Delta says the new bins prevent the growth of a “broad spectrum of bacteria through antimicrobial technology that is built into the bin and continuously minimizes the presence of microbes throughout the bin’s lifecycle.” Indicators on bin handles will apparently help travelers know their belongings are bacteria-safe.
According to a 2018 study by pandemic experts from the University of Nottingham, airport security trays harbor the highest levels of viruses at airports. They found evidence of viruses on 10 percent of the surfaces tested and most commonly on the plastic trays used during security screening.
Many U.S. airlines stepped up its cleaning protocols in light of the pandemic. United, American and Delta have all released statements outlining their cleaning procedures, with all three noting that they’re adhering to updated guidance on airplane sanitation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. They have also implemented policies mandating that all passengers wear masks aboard aircraft.
Delta, for its part, announced in August that it had made changes to keep lavatories safe for passengers and crew.
Hand sanitizer stations can be found near the boarding door and bathrooms on every flight and the airline says it will install hand-washing reminders on every flight. Flight attendants are wiping down high-touch surfaces in lavatories frequently during every flight.
Delta has been the most aggressive airlines when it comes to onboard cleaning and sanitizing policies. Check out the video below they released outlining the airline’s filtration system.
Featured photo by Chris Dong/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees