Delta and TSA Test Faster, Less Annoying Security Process
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
What goes around, comes around, and the adage seemingly applies to procedures related to airport security as well. While any savvy traveler should already have Global Entry and TSA PreCheck — ideally via a credit card that reimburses the application fee — there are still those who do not. Delta is working with the Transportation Security Administration to make the lives of those in the ordinary security line a lot better, starting with a test at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport’s Maynard H. Jackson International Terminal.
Two new security lanes are now open, which aim to mimic the days of yesteryear when you weren’t required to do things like remove your laptop and place it in a separate bin. If you’re traveling through ATL Terminal F, look for a lane with a dual-tray loading system and massive computed tomography (CT) scanners that allow travelers to keep electronics in their carry-on bags.
The new tray loaders relieve the usual headaches of people never quite knowing when it’s their turn to shove their bin forward. Thanks to green lights that glow when it’s your turn, passengers will wonder less and have a more efficient experience. They also auto-induct in the order they were placed on the belt. To boot, the fully automated bin return stacks bins so you don’t have to, scanning each bin before it’s stacked to make sure a customer hasn’t left any personal belongings behind.
The new CT scanners allow passengers to leave laptops and other electronics in their bags.
There’s no word on when the system will expand to more terminals and airports, but we’re hoping it becomes the new norm sooner rather than later. This new technology follows Delta’s implementation of biometric boarding at Atlanta’s international terminal, which I experienced when it opened last year.
Featured photo by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees