Delta Air Lines may extend vouchers through 2022
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Some potential good news today if you have any unused Delta Air Lines vouchers.
Thrifty Traveler executive editor Kyle Potter says he got hold of an internal Delta memo that says the carrier will be extending all flight credits through 2022. Delta wouldn’t confirm the news to TPG, but did give us a statement reading:
“We know our customers value flexibility when booking and changing their travel plans. We’re working through additional options for our customers including eCredits issued for travel purchased after April 17, 2020.”
Previously, only Delta tickets booked prior to April 17, 2020 for travel between March 2020 and March 2021 were extended to Dec. 31, 2022.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
If the details are true it would give travelers over 20 months to use hundreds of millions of dollars in flight credits issued during the height of the coronavirus pandemic.
Additionally, all voluntarily canceled tickets purchased any time this year would potentially expire on Dec. 31, 2022, giving flyers a bit more than the traditional one-year expiration to rebook travel should plans change.
Delta’s voucher extension comes as travelers are sitting on billions dollars of unused credits, with many set to expire in the coming weeks and months. This has led to extended wait times for those struggling to rebook tickets online.
According to Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) filings, Delta issued some $2.6 billion in vouchers last year. The Atlanta-based carrier also said it issued $2.6 billion in cash refunds last year.
Of the Big 3 U.S. airlines, American and United have both already extended expiring vouchers to March 31, 2022. Most Southwest travel funds expire one year from the ticket was purchased, though new credits or those set to expire between March 1, 2020 and Sept. 7, 2020 qualify for an extension to Sept. 7, 2022.
Of course, if confirmed Delta’s blanket extension would be the most generous of the major U.S. airlines. It’s possible that the others may feel the competitive pressure to match Delta’s move, but either way, this is great news, if confirmed, for loyal Delta flyers.
Additional reporting by Zach Griff.
Featured image by Clint Henderson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees