Delta Air Lines giving customers 10,000 SkyMiles for cancellations during Thanksgiving
Delta Air Lines canceled hundreds of flights during the busy week of Thanksgiving, and now it’s trying to make up for the unusual snafu with bonus miles (and even some flights credits) for many of the affected passengers.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Delta automatically deposited bonus SkyMiles in the accounts of those who had flights cancelled in what the airline called a “Holiday Cancellation Goodwill Gesture.”
Delta ended up cancelling more than 500 flights the week of Thanksgiving, which turned out to hold some of the busiest travel days of the year since March, when the coronavirus pandemic sent traffic plunging.
Delta spokesman Anthony Black told TPG during Thanksgiving week that a number of factors “pressured our ability to timely staff several dozen scheduled flights. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused our customers.”
According to pilots, schedulers and airline analysts, factors contributing to the cancellations included a dramatic surge in coronavirus cases, a lack of pilots available and trained on some airline types, shortage of crews, and the late addition of extra flights to meet better-than-expected demand.
I was among those impacted by the Thanksgiving cancellations. Even though I was rescheduled on a flight that arrived at the same time, I had the 10,000 SkyMiles deposited in my account just over a week later. I have Platinum status on Delta for the record.
Readers in the TPG Lounge had similar experiences. Mel told me that he got 10,000 bonus miles and then when he reached out to customer service, he got another bonus. Another reader — Ricky — told me he got 10,000 miles and his daughter got a $100 flight credit after their Thanksgiving day flight was cancelled.
Other readers pointed out that Delta has been just as generous in the past. After a 2017 thunderstorm in Atlanta led to a series of cancellations at the Delta hub, reader Jake said, “Delta gave me 20,000 miles then as a goodwill gesture.”
Keri said, “I did have a flight cancelled on the Saturday after Thanksgiving and did get the 10,000 Holiday Cancellation Goodwill Gesture. Gesture appreciated, good job, Delta.”
Charles told TPG, “My Thanksgiving day was cancelled and I was able to rebook to a really early flight. All 6 of us got 10k miles. I thought it was a great gesture because our round trip tickets CMH-ATL-MIA / MIA-ATL-CMH were only 10k each.”
Not everyone was as lucky, though most readers caught up in the mess were given miles even if they weren’t Diamond or Platinum status on Delta Air Lines.
Some readers said they didn’t receive anything, but that was the exception. Ty got 8,000 SkyMiles for a cancellation back on Halloween.
Sarah said, “I had a flight cancelled the Monday before Thanksgiving. No points deposit but they did give me a cash refund even though it was booked with a voucher.”
Delta last week also reiterated its commitment to blocking middle seats as a safety measure during the coronavirus outbreak. (It’s one of only a few airlines that are still doing this). Black said the seat-blocking policies remained in effect despite the “operational adjustment period.”
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees