Delta drops 2 seasonal routes to Europe from New York
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines is trimming two seasonal leisure routes to Europe from New York next summer, even as it plans to grow its overall transatlantic franchise.
The SkyTeam Alliance carrier will not resume service next summer on its routes between New York John F. Kennedy (JFK) and both Malaga (AGP) in Spain and Ponta Delgada (PDL) in the Azores, according to Diio by Cirium schedules and confirmed by Delta. Both routes were flown with Boeing 757-200 aircraft.
The two European routes are the only two of the two-dozen destinations that Delta served from JFK this summer that will not return in 2020, the data shows.
Delta spokeswoman Olivia Cullis does not say why the airline is ending the routes, but notes passengers can continue to reach the destinations via Delta’s partners, including Air France and KLM.
The Atlanta-based carrier’s exit from the Azores and Malaga comes as it continues to beef up transatlantic connections. Delta is focused on building its new Boston Logan (BOS) hub and will add nonstop service to London Gatwick (LGW) and Rome (FCO) next summer. It will also take over its partner Virgin Atlantic’s flights between Boston and Manchester (MAN) in the UK.
Delta is scheduled to grow transatlantic capacity by roughly 4.6% year-over-year during the first six months of 2020, Diio data shows.
Delta flew the Azores route for two years and the Malaga route since 2008, according to Diio. No other airlines fly between either the Azores or Malaga and New York City.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.