Delta Air Lines, American Express Extend Partnership through 2029
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta’s longstanding partnership with American Express will continue at least another decade.
The two sides announced an 11-year renewal of their relationship that will continue Amex’s role as the exclusive issuer of Delta SkyMiles credit cards. The partnership between the two, which dates back to 1996, will now run through the end of 2029.
Credit card deals have become increasingly lucrative to airlines, allowing them to generate billions of dollars in revenue by selling miles or points to credit-card issuers. The issuers, in turn, can then offer the points or miles as a perk to customers using their cards.
Delta valued its “benefit from the relationship” to increase to about $7 billion annually by 2023. In 2018, Delta said the deal was worth $3.4 billion.
In a statement, Delta CEO Ed Bastian said the latest pact would allow the airline to work with Amex “to find innovative ways to offer greater opportunity to our customers as we grow our long-term partnership.”
“This is a true partnership steeped in common values, strong relationships and 23 years of history,” added Amex CEO Stephen J. Squeri. “We will be working together across our card, merchant and travel businesses to expand the partnership and believe this continues to be a very attractive platform for growth that delivers substantial benefits to our customers, our partners and our shareholders.”
In their joint statement, Delta and Amex touted the following items in extending their tie-up:
- Ongoing investment in industry-leading benefits for Delta SkyMiles Credit Cards from Amex
- Complimentary access to the award-winning network of Delta Sky Clubs around the world for Delta Reserve Card Members and Platinum Card Members from Amex
- Delta participation in the Membership Rewards program from Amex, allowing those points to transfer into the SkyMiles Program
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees