Delta Air Lines, American Express Extend Partnership through 2029
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta’s longstanding partnership with American Express will continue at least another decade.
The two sides announced an 11-year renewal of their relationship that will continue Amex’s role as the exclusive issuer of Delta SkyMiles credit cards. The partnership between the two, which dates back to 1996, will now run through the end of 2029.
Credit card deals have become increasingly lucrative to airlines, allowing them to generate billions of dollars in revenue by selling miles or points to credit-card issuers. The issuers, in turn, can then offer the points or miles as a perk to customers using their cards.
Delta valued its “benefit from the relationship” to increase to about $7 billion annually by 2023. In 2018, Delta said the deal was worth $3.4 billion.
In a statement, Delta CEO Ed Bastian said the latest pact would allow the airline to work with Amex “to find innovative ways to offer greater opportunity to our customers as we grow our long-term partnership.”
“This is a true partnership steeped in common values, strong relationships and 23 years of history,” added Amex CEO Stephen J. Squeri. “We will be working together across our card, merchant and travel businesses to expand the partnership and believe this continues to be a very attractive platform for growth that delivers substantial benefits to our customers, our partners and our shareholders.”
In their joint statement, Delta and Amex touted the following items in extending their tie-up:
- Ongoing investment in industry-leading benefits for Delta SkyMiles Credit Cards from Amex
- Complimentary access to the award-winning network of Delta Sky Clubs around the world for Delta Reserve Card Members and Platinum Card Members from Amex
- Delta participation in the Membership Rewards program from Amex, allowing those points to transfer into the SkyMiles Program
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/TPG
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.