Delta Will Add Sign Language Badges to Company Uniforms
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines customer-facing staffers who know American Sign Language, or one or more of 300 other signed languages worldwide, will now sport a badge on their uniform saying so. The badge will sit under name tags on uniforms for flight attendants, gate agents and other Delta staff.
The change was announced in a video posted by Delta CEO Ed Bastian on LinkedIn. The video is almost entirely silent, presented in ASL with closed captioning underneath.
In the announcement, Bastian said the change is meant to help passengers quickly identify staff with whom they share a signed language. “It’s a small step on our journey, but a powerful change as we seek to make the world a smaller, more inclusive place,” said Bastian.
The initiative comes after feedback from customers and conversations with the ABLE Disability Business Resource Group. Delta says it is the first US airline to offer language bars for employees qualified in sign languages, and that the new bars will be rolled out in the fall this year.
When asked if it was taking similar measures, American Airlines said that — in addition to providing closed caption entertainment options for in flight entertainment — the carrier is currently working with advocacy groups and members of the deaf and hard of hearing community to improve its travel experience for all passengers.
United Airlines did not respond in time for publication to a question on whether it had plans to improve accessibility for sign language-speaking passengers.
Featured photo courtesy of Delta Air Lines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees