Delta Adds New Florida Route From Growing Raleigh/Durham ‘Focus City’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines will add a new Florida route from Raleigh/Durham this fall, the latest addition by the carrier at its growing focus city.
The SkyTeam Alliance carrier will offer a daily flight to Jacksonville (JAX) starting Sept. 7, according to Diio by Cirium schedules. The flight will be operated by Delta’s Delta Connection affiliates on a Bombardier CRJ700 regional jet.
Delta’s new Raleigh/Durham (RDU)-Jacksonville route comes just five months after Frontier Airlines entered the market. The ultra-low-cost carrier offers thrice-weekly service on the route.
Jacksonville is the fourth destination Delta has added from RDU this year. Other additions include Chicago O’Hare, New Orleans and Pittsburgh.
Delta is unique among the the big three US carriers in developing “focus cities,” or airports with nonstop flights to more destinations than just hubs — but not enough to boast connections. In addition to RDU, Delta’s other focus cities include Austin, Cincinnati, Nashville and San Jose, California.
“We’ve really selected markets that have a lot of youthful presence, strong corporate standing, and where we’ve seen above average growth for the industry,” Delta managing director of domestic network planning Amy Martin said on the airline’s focus city strategy in June.
Delta plans to grow system capacity by roughly 3% in 2019.
The mainline carrier was not immediately available to comment on the new route.
Featured image by Edward Russell, TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.