Delta Adds New Florida Route From Growing Raleigh/Durham ‘Focus City’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines will add a new Florida route from Raleigh/Durham this fall, the latest addition by the carrier at its growing focus city.
The SkyTeam Alliance carrier will offer a daily flight to Jacksonville (JAX) starting Sept. 7, according to Diio by Cirium schedules. The flight will be operated by Delta’s Delta Connection affiliates on a Bombardier CRJ700 regional jet.
Delta’s new Raleigh/Durham (RDU)-Jacksonville route comes just five months after Frontier Airlines entered the market. The ultra-low-cost carrier offers thrice-weekly service on the route.
Jacksonville is the fourth destination Delta has added from RDU this year. Other additions include Chicago O’Hare, New Orleans and Pittsburgh.
Delta is unique among the the big three US carriers in developing “focus cities,” or airports with nonstop flights to more destinations than just hubs — but not enough to boast connections. In addition to RDU, Delta’s other focus cities include Austin, Cincinnati, Nashville and San Jose, California.
“We’ve really selected markets that have a lot of youthful presence, strong corporate standing, and where we’ve seen above average growth for the industry,” Delta managing director of domestic network planning Amy Martin said on the airline’s focus city strategy in June.
Delta plans to grow system capacity by roughly 3% in 2019.
The mainline carrier was not immediately available to comment on the new route.
Featured image by Edward Russell, TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.