Delta Adds New Florida Route From Growing Raleigh/Durham ‘Focus City’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines will add a new Florida route from Raleigh/Durham this fall, the latest addition by the carrier at its growing focus city.
The SkyTeam Alliance carrier will offer a daily flight to Jacksonville (JAX) starting Sept. 7, according to Diio by Cirium schedules. The flight will be operated by Delta’s Delta Connection affiliates on a Bombardier CRJ700 regional jet.
Delta’s new Raleigh/Durham (RDU)-Jacksonville route comes just five months after Frontier Airlines entered the market. The ultra-low-cost carrier offers thrice-weekly service on the route.
Jacksonville is the fourth destination Delta has added from RDU this year. Other additions include Chicago O’Hare, New Orleans and Pittsburgh.
Delta is unique among the the big three US carriers in developing “focus cities,” or airports with nonstop flights to more destinations than just hubs — but not enough to boast connections. In addition to RDU, Delta’s other focus cities include Austin, Cincinnati, Nashville and San Jose, California.
“We’ve really selected markets that have a lot of youthful presence, strong corporate standing, and where we’ve seen above average growth for the industry,” Delta managing director of domestic network planning Amy Martin said on the airline’s focus city strategy in June.
Delta plans to grow system capacity by roughly 3% in 2019.
The mainline carrier was not immediately available to comment on the new route.
Featured image by Edward Russell, TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees